need new carb for semi daily driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Another thing. ALWAYS try and use the carb that came with the motor as it has subtle differences specific to that motor. If the carb you have is an unknown, but worked well, stick with it. Even an off the shelf carb with the same numbers probably won't work as well as the original. That said, if you know what you are doing and have the parts, you can take any Q-jet and make it into whatever you want. That's where a guy like Ken comes in. When you give him ALL of your information, he can build a great carb for you. Anyway, how does it run? You said " it has started to seep gas at the base gasket" , is that all? Have you tried tightening up the air horn screws? (not too tight!). The float bowl really can't leak so I'm thinking the accelerator pump circuit may be leaking through a loose or bad gasket. It's a " a grungy non electronic quadrajet". I'd get a few cans of carb cleaner, a small paint brush and an old toothbrush and clean it up. Then you can evaluate it better. If it is otherwise running well I'd keep it and play with it.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Get a Street Demon 625 cfm. Brand new castings based off the Thermoquad with the flaws fixed. Nearly everyone with one, loves them. I have a good Qjet, very nice carb when properly built and tuned.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I suggest you check out the CFM calculator at the bottom of the add for the 625 Demon...here are the results

Maximum Engine RPM : 5000
Engine Size in Cubic Inches : 305
Street Carb CFM : 375.07
Racing Carb CFM : 485.39

Maximum Engine RPM : 5000
Engine Size in Cubic Inches : 350
Street Carb CFM : 430.41
Racing Carb CFM : 557

I would go with a good quadrajet set up for the engine like Bonewagon suggested......

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Step up to properly built Qjet or the Street Demon 750, is CFM is concern. Either one won't be too big if properly jetted to the engine.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
a 750 quadrajet will work on a 305 cause it operates differently than a demon or holley. You can't rejet a 750 demon or holley to work properly with a 305 or 350. Even the 625 is too large for the 305 and 350.

seawolf18

Master Mechanic
Jan 12, 2013
SE South Dakota
I also agree using the q-jet. You will get the best fuel mileage using one. People call them quadra-junks and qudra-bogs because they don't know how to properly set them up. If you want to go aftermarket, the people I know have been having good results with quick fuel carbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor