REGAL Need new tires

Status
Not open for further replies.

RideOrDieRegal84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 9, 2020
USA
I need new tires on my rear. I am currently running 27560r15 cooper cobras that I got when I first got the car which are long overdue for replacements. I’m looking to go to a drag radial and stay the same size. I’m not sure my width of my rim or backspacing or any other specs about them other then being 15s. I have about 1/2 inch clearance from the frame. Will drag radials clear and be tucked in the bodywork well? I have no Frame notch and quite saggy old suspension in the back. What wheels would be my best route to get drag radials under the car? Thank you.
182E3A9A-261F-48A3-88B0-4779E0374396.png
3D1974E0-94C4-48A5-82FF-D2F945BA11A0.png
C4FCC64A-148C-46C6-8C71-7A928CCE65A2.jpeg

CdnCutlass

Greasemonkey
Jan 14, 2010
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I tried to roll one side with the Eastwood tool. It didn’t turn out good at all and cracked the paint and distorted the panel. Now it’s going to cost me some money to fix it properly…

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
Just get a smaller tire. 275 will not comfortably fit in a Regal. I know many have done it but with the rear suspension in compression, it will not clear. The ones who have claimed to have done it either have not carried payload, have super strong springs, raised ride height and never had their axle articulate.
As for 1/2" to frame rail, that is what you see at rest. Lean that car in a corner and the rear will move sideways in the chassis and as the housing rotates (not parallel with the bumper) the tire will become closer to the frame and inner wheel well.

This is a 28 x 10.5, pretty similar to a 275. It's okay sitting here in the picture but not ready for passengers, bumps or articulation.

Attachments

• tire.jpg
    tire.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 57
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor