Need softer/ smoother shocks 1980 Malibu

Status
Not open for further replies.

fabkol1980

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 15, 2023
So this is my first rime asking something here. Hope someone can help me.
About 2 months ago i made some rear spring spacers 2inch thick eqch side out of aircraft aluminum.
Then i installed s10 blazer shocks since they are about the right length.
Its a cruiser so i dont like a stiff suspension, but now, its really hard.
wich shocks would you recommend to keep the stock soft/smoothness?
Thanks and greetings from switzerland.
-Fabian

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Do you know your installed height of the shocks?

fabkol1980

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 15, 2023
Fully extendet length of shock is 24.33inches

Fully compressed lengt is 14.73 inches

Installed at 20 inches

So i have atleast 4 inches of movement to each side.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Bilstiens will solve your issue.

Reactions: 1 user
Solution

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
80 'Bu? Would suggest the G-Body versions. Being for a truck, the S-10 variants might be valved a little differently since they have to deal with both an empty truck box as well as it being full and with various types of loads into the bargain. G-bodies do have trunks, but very seldom do those trunks get tapped to carry something like an engine block or a 1/2 dozen cinder blocks. (Not saying that that kind of thing never happens just that it is not very often..............)

On those aluminum spacers, what made you choose to make them 2 inches (51 mm, approx) in thickness? If this is a matter of gaining height or room for taller or wider tires, then that is one thing, but if your springs are tired or the tension/compression/rebound in them has diminished over time, then spacing them will not give you back your ride. That will only happen by having them replaced by new or new/higher performance versions. Understand that I am not flogging anyone's brand or product here, It is simply that, unless they have been replaced at some point in the past already, you are dealing with 43 year old springs that have had an entire vehicle sitting on them for that length of time and that have been exposed to hundreds of thousands of repetitions of expansion and contraction due to having to deal with road and traffic conditions. Metal fatigue and diminished performance in suspension components happens; it is why they are termed "wear" parts, they wear, out.

Nick

Reactions: 1 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Fabian, I agree with the Bilstein shock recommendation - I run them too and they are night and day better than most brands. Attach some pictures so we can appreciate your new ride.

Did you receive the car with 'short' springs? Do you know anything about them? Rear springs on these cars can't be cut down as they have small coils at both ends. If they are short, then they are super-used up, or probably aftermarket lowering springs. These often have a higher spring rate (thicker wire) to reduce bottoming out when there is less suspension travel, plus better handling - so they will be much stiffer, and you lose that lovely GM 'waterbed' ride.
1673815054216.png

When you installed the spacers, how did you positively anchor the spacers to keep them from popping out under a road bump? 2 inches is quite the lift - did you do something similar to the front suspension? New springs are pretty cheap (shipping to CH, not so much) so you may want to try out a pair or set of stock replacements. I'd try that first before buying the Bilsteins - which you can add later to help manage the waterbed.

Tschuess.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

fabkol1980

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 15, 2023
80 'Bu? Would suggest the G-Body versions. Being for a truck, the S-10 variants might be valved a little differently since they have to deal with both an empty truck box as well as it being full and with various types of loads into the bargain. G-bodies do have trunks, but very seldom do those trunks get tapped to carry something like an engine block or a 1/2 dozen cinder blocks. (Not saying that that kind of thing never happens just that it is not very often..............)

On those aluminum spacers, what made you choose to make them 2 inches (51 mm, approx) in thickness? If this is a matter of gaining height or room for taller or wider tires, then that is one thing, but if your springs are tired or the tension/compression/rebound in them has diminished over time, then spacing them will not give you back your ride. That will only happen by having them replaced by new or new/higher performance versions. Understand that I am not flogging anyone's brand or product here, It is simply that, unless they have been replaced at some point in the past already, you are dealing with 43 year old springs that have had an entire vehicle sitting on them for that length of time and that have been exposed to hundreds of thousands of repetitions of expansion and contraction due to having to deal with road and traffic conditions. Metal fatigue and diminished performance in suspension components happens; it is why they are termed "wear" parts, they wear, out.

Nick
Hey nick, first of all thanks for your input:)
The springs are new stock replacements i bought about 2 years ago together with all other suspension parts when i had the frame removed.
I put the spacers in because i like to have the *ss higher than the front.
I had 2 pairs of highjackers over the last 4 years.
The quality is not how it used to be, so i decidet to make 2 aluminum spacers to have it on the hight that i want.
The reason why i asked about gbody or s10 bilsteins is, that the gbody shoks tont have a lot of travel anymore if im going over a road bump because of the lift. The s10 are longer and have more travel.
My malibu has a 350cid/340hp in it with 700r4 transmission and 3.73 gears.
Because we dont have tracks here in switzerland i used it as a cruiser.

fabkol1980

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 15, 2023
Fabian, I agree with the Bilstein shock recommendation - I run them too and they are night and day better than most brands. Attach some pictures so we can appreciate your new ride.

Did you receive the car with 'short' springs? Do you know anything about them? Rear springs on these cars can't be cut down as they have small coils at both ends. If they are short, then they are super-used up, or probably aftermarket lowering springs. These often have a higher spring rate (thicker wire) to reduce bottoming out when there is less suspension travel, plus better handling - so they will be much stiffer, and you lose that lovely GM 'waterbed' ride.
View attachment 214342

When you installed the spacers, how did you positively anchor the spacers to keep them from popping out under a road bump? 2 inches is quite the lift - did you do something similar to the front suspension? New springs are pretty cheap (shipping to CH, not so much) so you may want to try out a pair or set of stock replacements. I'd try that first before buying the Bilsteins - which you can add later to help manage the waterbed.

Tschuess.
Hey ssn696 thans for your input, relly apreciate it:)

So then i will go with bilsteins.
I bought the car as my first car about 9 years ago, it needet a lot of work but it was all stock and untouched.
We need to go to the MFK (Motor Vehicle Inspection) every 2 years here in CH. Sadly, almost no modifications are allowed when they are not certified by the manufacturer in our case GM. Especially when it comes to supsension upgrades... not even tubular controllarms are allowed.
I put a 350cid with 340hp a 700r4 and 3.73 gear in it, removed all AC/Heat stuff, put Shorty header and dual exhaust with H Pipe in it.
1984 Monte Carlos Bucket seats and B&M Megashifter, Dakota digital dash, dual electrical engine fans from a Fbody, new seat upholstery just finished yesterday, vintage air heater/ defroster and a lot more was done.
Next on the list is removing and painting the engine and installing edelbrock pro flow 4 then paint he whole car in 2024.
And all of that to a 1980 4!! DOOR Malibu

The springs are new stock replacements i bought about 2 years ago when i had the frame off the body. I then replaced almost the whole suspension.

The problem startet only since i had the spacers installed and when i put the s10 shocks in. With the old gbody shoks it was fine, but on road bumps, the shocks bottomed out... thats why i put s10 shocks in to have enough movement in each direction.
Theres no problem with the spacers/springs popping out. I made them ca. 10mm / .4in to thick so theres allways a bit of pressure when fully extendet
Ps. The Blue Malibu is mine, the black is my best friend car.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230115-234717_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230115-234717_Gallery.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 89
  • Screenshot_20230115-234752_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230115-234752_Gallery.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 78
  • Screenshot_20230115-234950_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230115-234950_Gallery.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 82
  • Screenshot_20230115-235019_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230115-235019_Gallery.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 77
  • Screenshot_20230115-235002_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230115-235002_Gallery.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 78
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor