need some help 455 in a gbody

Status
Not open for further replies.

buba198

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 30, 2007
i have a 78 lemans and the 350 chevy dosent cut it for me so of course the pontiac 455 was the next step but i cant find headers anywhere i am told hooker makes a set of super comps for a g body 301 that should work thanks to the standerd block factor but i cant find them or a part number anywhere a little help would be sweet

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
i didnt know they even made headers for the 301. the closest you might get are headers for an f-body.

i did a few google searches and came up with nothing for the application.

the closest i saw was pontiac engine headers for a 79-81 firebird. those will probably work.

78_G_Prix

n00b
Jan 11, 2009
Harrison, TN
buba198 said:
i have a 78 lemans and the 350 chevy dosent cut it for me so of course the pontiac 455 was the next step but i cant find headers anywhere i am told hooker makes a set of super comps for a g body 301 that should work thanks to the standerd block factor but i cant find them or a part number anywhere a little help would be sweet

I put a 455 in my 78 Grand Prix a couple of years ago and it was a tight fit. I had to use exhaust manifolds. Chief Many Horses used to make pontiac headers for the 78-87 G-Bodys. I found them a while back, full length stainless headers, but they were in the $600 range. I don't know if they still make them. You may have to get a set of cheap headers and 'tweek' them a little to make 'em fit. The other option most people push is RAIV manifolds that are about as close to a header as a manifold can get (for Pontiacs).

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
301 headers will bolt up but the block deck is lower ( compared to the 455) they will most likely need to be modified.

That's the killer of this swap,since IA went t*ts up no one makes headers.

I have custom headers in my Pontiac powered Cutlass.

What is your goal?

We pushed a 4300# car into the mid 12z with long branch manifold that are similar to RA manifolds.

If you need any advice let me know.

BrownGP83

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2008
Chamberlain,South Dakota
Summit racing carries Hedman shorty headers for Pontiac engines in 2nd gen F-bodies. These might be easier to make work than full length headers. Check their fittment notes first to make sure you won't run in to other problems. I have no experience with these headers myself, just helping look for options.

78_G_Prix

n00b
Jan 11, 2009
Harrison, TN
BrownGP83 said:
Summit racing carries Hedman shorty headers for Pontiac engines in 2nd gen F-bodies. These might be easier to make work than full length headers. Check their fittment notes first to make sure you won't run in to other problems. I have no experience with these headers myself, just helping look for options.

I have a set of the Hedman shorties for my swap (455 to 78 GPrix), they didn't fit. It's been a year or two, but I think the driver side fit ok, but the flange on the passenger side hit both the brake lines and the upper A-arm mounts. The flanges would have to be about 2" longer to clear.
Unfortunately I sprung for the cereamic coating before checking fit... expensive lesson learned. I don't know how similar your front suspension is to my Grand Prix, but I would imagine you may have similar troubles.

BrownGP83

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2008
Chamberlain,South Dakota
I don't know about the difference between a 78 Lemans and a 78 GP, but they should be pretty close i would think. I thought about them for my 83 when i swap to a 400 Pontiac, but now i know better. Will older A-body headers work? The front suspension looks close to that on a G-body.

grant's prix

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 26, 2007
Great White North
Repro RAIII Manifolds

I used the repro RAIII manifolds in my 1980 GP, clear everything, won't crack or leak, and HPP mag did a story on all the exhaust options about 10 years ago and found the RAIII flow the same as 3 tube headers, a loss of under a second in the 1/4 mile.

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
I would buck up for the repro manifolds as well. the weight is the only issue because performance gains are offset with headers as soon as you "dimple" a tube or two to make them fit!

You could use the torch and a hammer to clearance the area needed and run the B-body headers or F-body headers, but man that's a lot of work!

Those manifolds are awesome...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor