Need some help with my Olds...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mheath717

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2008
Florida
Ok so today I was stopped at a red light and thought I smelled something burning. I got the car home and there was smoke coming from the driver's side of my motor. I got under the car, and took a closer look. I cleaned up the underside of the motor with degreaser, brake cleaner, and paper towels. I started up the car and let it run. I would give it a little gas now and then trying to make it leak. Eventually I see oil running out of the top of the dipstick tube and down on to the block/exhaust, and burning off. So I'm sitting there watching oil run out of my motor going :wtf:

First thought was that maybe I had a clogged pcv valve. I took the pcv valve out completely, and cleaned up the motor again. I drove the car about a mile down the road to autozone, and pop the hood. There is no oil on the outside of the dipstick tube. So I was thinking I had the problem solved. I go in the store and buy a new pcv valve. I put the new one in, and drive around town to see if things were fixed. After a like ten minutes of driving, I am smelling burning oil again. I get the car to my house, and it is still leaking out of the top of the dipstick tube.

What could be my problem? The car is a '84 Cutlass with a '69 Oldsmobile 350. The driver side valve cover has a breather filter with a hose that runs to the air cleaner. The passenger valve cover has a pcv valve with a hose that runs to the front of the quadrajet. I had been noticing a little oil around the bottom of my oil cap for a few weeks, but nothing ever this serious. My next thought was maybe that breather filter was clogged up.

What do you think it could be? I need to get my car back up and going. :|

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
so i read your description and my first thought as well was the pcv valve and you ruled that out so i looked on google a little and it seems like your should start with a compression test. if your rings are bad enough on some cylinders you will have so much blow by that it will come out the dip stick tube

mheath717

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2008
Florida
Peter said:
so i read your description and my first thought as well was the pcv valve and you ruled that out so i looked on google a little and it seems like your should start with a compression test. if your rings are bad enough on some cylinders you will have so much blow by that it will come out the dip stick tube

Well I would hope that wouldn't be my problem. My motor only has 5,000 miles on it. It was 100% redone not too long ago. From the crank being turned to the heads being redone. I do have a compression tester so I might try that tomorrow and see how it looks.

Is it possible that maybe I have the wrong type of pcv valve? I have Mr gasket valve covers, and the grommet doesn't go deep enough to use the Oldsmobile type pcv valve. I just got one off the shelf that fit the hole. That is what I did a few moths back when I put the valve covers on. I just drove it 150 miles on the interstate last week with no problems.

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
84Hurst/Olds said:
Peter said:

Well I would hope that wouldn't be my problem. My motor only has 5,000 miles on it. It was 100% redone not too long ago. From the crank being turned to the heads being redone. I do have a compression tester so I might try that tomorrow and see how it looks.

Is it possible that maybe I have the wrong type of pcv valve? I have Mr gasket valve covers, and the grommet doesn't go deep enough to use the Oldsmobile type pcv valve. I just got one off the shelf that fit the hole. That is what I did a few moths back when I put the valve covers on. I just drove it 150 miles on the interstate last week with no problems.

i would be surprised if it started after a couple of weeks of that setup but if the pcv vavle was mr gasket i certainly wouldn't put it past them. i guess it could be totally possible that your engine doesn't produce enough vacuum to open the new pcv valve you have

RockSS

Master Mechanic
Oct 24, 2010
Enfield Ct
Just real quick don't take this the wrong way but did you check the vacuum at the pcv to make sure, maybe the line is pluged or the carb adapter other than that its a stumper ....... :wtf:

mheath717

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2008
Florida
RockSS said:
Just real quick don't take this the wrong way but did you check the vacuum at the pcv to make sure, maybe the line is pluged or the carb adapter other than that its a stumper ....... :wtf:

Yea I checked that. Its got vacuum on it. But no I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thanks.

RockSS

Master Mechanic
Oct 24, 2010
Enfield Ct
Ok pull your dip stick out and then start your engine ( a ) is your seal on the dipstick good ( b ) how much pressure is commin out the tube thats all I got for now I hope its not the rings too thats would suck... :blam:

mheath717

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2008
Florida
Well I just managed to lock myself out of my car. :blam:

This day just keeps getting better. The entire time I have owned my car, I have had one door key. I decided today to get a copy made at lowes. I get back to my car and the new one actually works. I throw both copies in my console, and head home. I forgot I hadn't put em back on my key ring, and now its sitting in my driver seat. :(

Day is getting better and better lol.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Getting back in is easy...
Un-do a wire hanger and fish it inbetween the seam where the t-top weather-strip meets the body weather-strip.
Or, if your car is like mine, and the weather-stripping has split, then you've got plenty of room to get it in there...

mheath717

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2008
Florida
My weatherstripping is almost non-existant so I just hit it with my pocket knife a few times and knocked a small piece out. I am now bending up a wire hanger to go back out and get my key.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor