Need some help with rear window trim studs

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Rktpwrd has seen this, but unfortunately he’s still at work, just taking a quick smoke break and would have to search for it on Olds Cool’s thread just the same as y’all. I don’t recall if I took pictures of that process TBH.

I will ask this tho, are you planning on attaching the clips to sheet metal screws, or the proper studs you weld on with a stud gun? Either way, I believe they’re just centered in the channel. If you’re attaching them with a stud gun, you’ll be limited by the nose of the gun as to how close to center you can get, which is why I’m asking.
Knowing you, if they didn't look just right, you'd cut the lip off the window seal seat, re-attach the studs where you wanted, then re-weld the window seat lip back in place. You know, the hard way. :)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Piddling around on the web, found this pic. A couple of clips are missing, and it appears it may have some metal ones? on the vinyl top here, but they should be the same locations for the top and sides. Is this anyone's car here?

Rear Window G-body Clips Placement Sorta.jpg

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
You asked about this a couple months ago in another thread. And yeah, I don't know how deep they go into the channel, but the number of studs needed are correct. Post #8.

Yes I see that and appreciate the reminder

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Rktpwrd has seen this, but unfortunately he’s still at work, just taking a quick smoke break and would have to search for it on Olds Cool’s thread just the same as y’all. I don’t recall if I took pictures of that process TBH.

I will ask this tho, are you planning on attaching the clips to sheet metal screws, or the proper studs you weld on with a stud gun? Either way, I believe they’re just centered in the channel. If you’re attaching them with a stud gun, you’ll be limited by the nose of the gun as to how close to center you can get, which is why I’m asking.
Sheet metal screws. I will continue looking through your thread but I don't think you posted that info. But worth a look. Thanks

Reactions: 1 user

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Sheet metal screws. I will continue looking through your thread but I don't think you posted that info. But worth a look. Thanks

Sorry I couldn’t be of more help Tony. It’s unusual that I didn’t document it, but then again I did so much work to that car behind the scenes that it would probably blow your mind. That build thread could easily be twice as long as it already is.

Back to the trim studs, don’t sweat the placement within the flange too much (the factory certainly never did) because if you look closely at the trim clips and study how they work, they are actually adjustable depending on where you place them on the studs. The slot that they slide into in the middle is angled.

So the farther you push the clip on the stud, the closer to the flange they get. This is going to bring the trim closer to the window, and the opposite of course if you only just get the clip over the stud. That will set the trim further away from the window.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Who knew that so much thought got put into those little clips!

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Sorry I couldn’t be of more help Tony. It’s unusual that I didn’t document it, but then again I did so much work to that car behind the scenes that it would probably blow your mind. That build thread could easily be twice as long as it already is.

Back to the trim studs, don’t sweat the placement within the flange too much (the factory certainly never did) because if you look closely at the trim clips and study how they work, they are actually adjustable depending on where you place them on the studs. The slot that they slide into in the middle is angled.

So the farther you push the clip on the stud, the closer to the flange they get. This is going to bring the trim closer to the window, and the opposite of course if you only just get the clip over the stud. That will set the trim further away from the window.

View attachment 205007

View attachment 205008

Who knew that so much thought got put into those little clips!
Makes sense. They are sort of self aligning. I'm assuming that as long as they seat themselves against the inner flange you should be good to go. And with the build quality of the factory I'm sure this was necessary

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
For those that may need to do this...
What i found best is a 5/64" bit and #1 Phillips about 3" in length works best. Measurements for side are 4" from top and bottom corners then each is 3.5" apart. Top is 5" from center and 5" apart for 4 studs.
Used an acid brush to lay some epoxy in holes as rust prevention. Pretty much centered in channels.
20220819_083156.jpg
20220819_083217.jpg
20220819_083224.jpg
20220819_083246.jpg
20220819_085831.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

TomDisab

Apprentice
Nov 16, 2016
You need not go to the bother of installing studs. The clips can be attached with self tapping screws after paint.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I know it's been settles as 'whatever',, but, for those who will search threads in the future or care for their edification, here's some pics. Count the tics on the tape.

20220820_143606.jpg

20220820_143614.jpg

Please pardon out rust, must be a Florida car...

20220820_143916.jpg

20220820_143959.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor