need some ideas for a 85 monte carlo ss

Status
Not open for further replies.

dadesolo

n00b
Aug 21, 2008
I'm looking to buy a 85 ss. The car is in mint condition. The body is clean and the interior is also in great shape. I'm still trying to map out a game plan for the car. what's the best set up to make 500hp in a daily driver. 350 block or the 454. Is a carburated supercharger better or a twin turbo fuel injected set up. Also whats a good transmission. Is a sequential 5 speed good for a daily driver? 5 speed manual or a 5 speed auto? any advice would be helpful from someone who is making 400hp or better or knows a set up that is good for 450hp or better. thnks!

How much are you looking to spend? Are you doing this yourself? For the cost of some of the options you listed you go go out and buy a Vette.

I want to start with the block first. I want to build the motor to handle the turbos or supercharger and add them later. I need an idea of what type of main block to start with. as far as the transmission goes i'm just fishing around. I've got a lot of tuner experience. we built and evo8 with 480hp to the wheels. with this new project i want to make 500hp. if i can do it all motor that would be better. but I need to start with the right block first. everyone i talk to wants to sell me a crate motor for 4500 or better. i figure if i put it 2gthr myself it should be cheaper. just need a push in the right direction. thnks

85ss

horse power costs money how fast do you want to go? a car can become a money pit real quick, you need to make a plan and research every thing envolved. what is the purpose or use of your car? a bad assed motor does not make a fast car!! it's a combo of engine trans and rear end.. you need to decide at what level you want to play at and then ask for advice :wink: ..jesse

dadesolo said:
I want to start with the block first. I want to build the motor to handle the turbos or supercharger and add them later. I need an idea of what type of main block to start with. as far as the transmission goes i'm just fishing around. I've got a lot of tuner experience. we built and evo8 with 480hp to the wheels. with this new project i want to make 500hp. if i can do it all motor that would be better. but I need to start with the right block first. everyone i talk to wants to sell me a crate motor for 4500 or better. i figure if i put it 2gthr myself it should be cheaper. just need a push in the right direction. thnks
buddy $4.500.is just a start if want to go fast an keep it togeather for a while it cost you get what you pay for just remember that.

why do a carbed s-charger vs turbo EFI? why not EFI with a s-charger?
also the compromises inherent with allowing for forced induction means that you'll have very low power at very high expense until you add the chargers. that and 500HP is EASY on a N/A chevy small block. EFI, 11 maybe 12:1 compression, 195 or 210 runner heads, 230-240 duration @.050, and 383ci should get you there and run all day long. if you built it with a forged crank and rods you could also rev it pretty good, then swap pistons to lower the compression when you go to forced induction. (by the way, most twin turbo 350's i see have 900+hp!) that's just on a gen1 block. if you go to an LS series engine you start out at 350hp or better--stock. 500hp is nothing to them.
i'd go the small block (350, 383, 400 LS) route to maintain handling and they're slightly cheaper to build and easier to source.

http://www.nelsonracingengines.com/pric ... bbc_tt.pdf

done.

in my opinion 383s are a waste of time. i know allot of people have them, but the bore/stroke ratio is really not that good. i would do a 355, 377, or 406. all that turbo crap is so complicated and just more pain in the *ss to work with.

the car is in mint stock condition now. i'm not in a rush 2 swap the motor. but my next question is if an all motor set up better for a daily driver? if so which block the 350 or 383. anything over 400hp is ok but 500 is the goal (in theory). next will be the rest of the drivetrain. but i do want a setup that will hold up to daily driving. i dont race to often but i do play on the expressway. i might get up to 130mph every once in a while. mostly i drive around 80-100mph. i've been thinking about a gbody for a while now so this will take me a while to complete, mabey a year or two to have the complete car done. but this aint gonna be a trailer b*tch. i just want a bad *ss street car that will blow these tuner guys away. i live in miami so everybody drives a ****in j* car. very few v8's down here unless they got 24inch rims on the car but i'm a driver!!! not a show off. so is the 383 good for over 400hp all motor?

my 383 is a rather mild build and has 400HP and about 450tq. if i'd known a few more things when i designed it'd have gone for 11:1cr, and probably an xe282 roller cam. that would have given me a nice (but not excessive) idle lope, good driveability, and great power.

so where can i find a good 383 block to start with? how much do they run?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor