Need Some More Wire Help Updated 4/28

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I just went through my harness box & saw I separated that 5 wire plug with the weather pack plug from the compressor harness. Just disconnected the light green wire from the 4 wire plug with the red power wire. I made a new harness with the light green wire to replace the original. My harness only has 4 wires (LG4 harness) unlike yours.

Attachments

• 20200429_143914.jpg
    20200429_143914.jpg
    564.2 KB · Views: 138

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I just went through my harness box & saw I separated that 5 wire plug with the weather pack plug from the compressor harness. Just disconnected the light green wire from the 4 wire plug with the red power wire. I made a new harness with the light green wire to replace the original. My harness only has 4 wires (LG4 harness) unlike yours.

I think I understand this. Correct me if Im not getting it. If I pull the light green wire out of the 4 wire AC feed that whole smaller harness will seperate from the other harness. I'll get rid of the 5 wire plug, the 2 wire weatherpac, the round plug that goes to nothing I have and the loose cut blue wire. What about the other blue wire that comes off the round plug ? Not needed at all ? Its got a single wire connector on it. I havent had the time today to look at this mess but Im assuming the harness thats coming off somehow winds up at the bulkhead connector. Is that correct ? If so, what do I do with that ? Take the terminals out of the outer half and leave it ?
And what about the light green wire ? Isnt that for the high idle ? just hook it up to the new Holley solenoid ?
Also I need a wire for the electric choke. Just pick an ignition on hot wire out of the bulkhead ?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I think I understand this. Correct me if Im not getting it. If I pull the light green wire out of the 4 wire AC feed that whole smaller harness will seperate from the other harness. I'll get rid of the 5 wire plug, the 2 wire weatherpac, the round plug that goes to nothing I have and the loose cut blue wire. What about the other blue wire that comes off the round plug ? Not needed at all ? Its got a single wire connector on it. I havent had the time today to look at this mess but Im assuming the harness thats coming off somehow winds up at the bulkhead connector. Is that correct ? If so, what do I do with that ? Take the terminals out of the outer half and leave it ?
And what about the light green wire ? Isnt that for the high idle ? just hook it up to the new Holley solenoid ?
Also I need a wire for the electric choke. Just pick an ignition on hot wire out of the bulkhead ?
Lets start with that green wire, removing it will get rid if that smaller harness. Then you'll make a new wire to replace it so it'll run from that plug to the carb for the fast idle solenoid. It's just swapping out the bulk wire/plugs for a simple single wire.
Now that round plug that should have 2 brown wires, 1 tan wire, 1 light blue wire that has a gray plastic housing. That will be for the oil pressure light & electric choke. With that plug will have the tan go to the bulk head, the browns will have one also go to the bulk head with the other being loose. That second brown wire could be trimmed or just tied off but cover that end with a shrink tube.
Let me know if it this clears it up.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Lets start with that green wire, removing it will get rid if that smaller harness. Then you'll make a new wire to replace it so it'll run from that plug to the carb for the fast idle solenoid. It's just swapping out the bulk wire/plugs for a simple single wire.
Now that round plug that should have 2 brown wires, 1 tan wire, 1 light blue wire that has a gray plastic housing. That will be for the oil pressure light & electric choke. With that plug will have the tan go to the bulk head, the browns will have one also go to the bulk head with the other being loose. That second brown wire could be trimmed or just tied off but cover that end with a shrink tube.

Pretty sure I got this. I'll do it tomorrow when I get out to the garage. I'll take some photos when its finished ! This has been a huge hold up for me. Once the wirings done, the inner fenders go back in and its ready to start up.
I think while Im doing all of this wiring I'll splice longer wires from the adaptor for the CS and do away with the flat connector to clean the wires up so they fit inside the loom.
Thanks again. For the info and taking the time to explain it all !!!!!

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY

Sorry its taken this long for an update. I ordered some light green wire on ebay and it took over a week to get it. Finally got it yesterday and it seemed like it was a bit undersized. I wound up going to my favorite junkyard and found some light green wire in the harness pile. Should have done that all along.

So heres when Im at. I redid the plug for the AC. I found a clean connector on a car at the yard so I snipped it out to get the clean plastic. I pulled the terminals out of the male plug, cut the wire back an inch and put all new terminals on. This was the original plug in my car. I took the terminals out of the female plug that I got from the yard and found this. Hmm, I wonder if thats why a lot of there had issues. Yup, the terminal is on the wire. No crimp on the insulation. WTF GM ?????
IMG_0333.jpg

So I fixed all the wires on both sides. I have enough wire coming out of the female to reach the compressor, high idle solenoid and the wire from the alternator.
Nice and clean, new wire and terminals so I sould be good to go.

IMG_0326.jpg

I have all the wires in place. Senders are hooked up. Its just a matter of a few hours of work soldering and hooking up the charging harness. Before I do the final work can you look at the plan and tell me if it looks correct ? Sorry about the rough sketch, Im not an artist. LOL
Im assuming since the output wire from the alternator is going to the battery instead of the OEM splice like the one in the 81 Malibu the AC feed will be getting power from the hot going to the starter since that will be the main hot to the whole car. Am I correct in thinking that ?

I didnt put the positions of the end in the bulkhead but you get the idea. Thats where they end.
The wires coming out of the bulkhead that went to the harness no longer needed are another issue. My plan is to just remove them from the bulkhead on the outer part totally. Then figure out which one is keyed hot for the electric choke wire.
Let me know what you think. Maybe some of you other guys here can also give me some suggestions. Pros and cons.

IMG_0324 (002).jpg

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Sorry its taken this long for an update. I ordered some light green wire on ebay and it took over a week to get it. Finally got it yesterday and it seemed like it was a bit undersized. I wound up going to my favorite junkyard and found some light green wire in the harness pile. Should have done that all along.

So heres when Im at. I redid the plug for the AC. I found a clean connector on a car at the yard so I snipped it out to get the clean plastic. I pulled the terminals out of the male plug, cut the wire back an inch and put all new terminals on. This was the original plug in my car. I took the terminals out of the female plug that I got from the yard and found this. Hmm, I wonder if thats why a lot of there had issues. Yup, the terminal is on the wire. No crimp on the insulation. WTF GM ?????
View attachment 146335

So I fixed all the wires on both sides. I have enough wire coming out of the female to reach the compressor, high idle solenoid and the wire from the alternator.
Nice and clean, new wire and terminals so I sould be good to go.

View attachment 146338

I have all the wires in place. Senders are hooked up. Its just a matter of a few hours of work soldering and hooking up the charging harness. Before I do the final work can you look at the plan and tell me if it looks correct ? Sorry about the rough sketch, Im not an artist. LOL
Im assuming since the output wire from the alternator is going to the battery instead of the OEM splice like the one in the 81 Malibu the AC feed will be getting power from the hot going to the starter since that will be the main hot to the whole car. Am I correct in thinking that ?

I didnt put the positions of the end in the bulkhead but you get the idea. Thats where they end.
The wires coming out of the bulkhead that went to the harness no longer needed are another issue. My plan is to just remove them from the bulkhead on the outer part totally. Then figure out which one is keyed hot for the electric choke wire.
Let me know what you think. Maybe some of you other guys here can also give me some suggestions. Pros and cons.

View attachment 146339
It looks good to me but fusible link between the battery & alternator might be some good insurance in my opinion. I know there have been GM models with alternators wired like that but not sure about a fusible link between the alternator & battery. Over all it looks like you are on the right track.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
It looks good to me but fusible link between the battery & alternator might be some good insurance in my opinion. I know there have been GM models with alternators wired like that but not sure about a fusible link between the alternator & battery. Over all it looks like you are on the right track.

I guess thats going to require a large fuse since its 4AWG cable.
I'll look into that but I think youre right about GM. Ive been looking at CS setups in different model vehicles and all Ive seen have the cable going right to the battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor