Need to help a friend

Status
Not open for further replies.

79cutlasssalon442

Master Mechanic
Jan 25, 2012
So, my friend's uncle gave my friend a 1993 nissan sentra se. He is going to just use it for a fied car since it needs a lot of work. We changed the alternator last night (which is terrible to do). He was told the alternator was new. The car needs a jump start each time. And runs fine with the cables on. As soon as the cable gets pulled off the engines quits. Or runs really sluggish until it dies. Any ideas? Thanks

Do you have meter to put on it to verify that the alt is actually working? I would think that it should start regardless if the alt works or not. Also check all grounds that you can find. Does the battery charge with a charger? Maybe the battery is junk. Are you jumping directly to the batt or to a charging post elsewhere?
What is a fied car?

wonderboy24

Royal Smart Person
Jul 10, 2012
Davenport, Iowa
find out if it has a separate voltage regulator. if i am right the newer alts have separate voltage regulator.the older cars if you pull the positive cable while it is running then it would be the alt

mike87442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 9, 2010
homer glen illinois
Check the "batt" or "charge" indicator light on the dash,beleive it or not if that bulb is burnt out the alternator will not charge.The system needs the bulb to complete the circuit.Just turn the key to on and see if it lights up

79cutlasssalon442

Master Mechanic
Jan 25, 2012
xitabl442 said:
Do you have meter to put on it to verify that the alt is actually working? I would think that it should start regardless if the alt works or not. Also check all grounds that you can find. Does the battery charge with a charger? Maybe the battery is junk. Are you jumping directly to the batt or to a charging post elsewhere?
What is a fied car?
Field car sorry. Typing too fast..

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
Start the car & put a voltage Meter on the battery, if it's reading somewhere along the lines of 13.2-15 volts, the alt is working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor