New 4.3 Woes, need help and info

Status
Not open for further replies.

86CLCruiser

Apprentice
May 4, 2008
OK, i swapped out my old worn 4.3 out of my 86 for a fresher 4.3 out of an 88. I have had alot of proplems with the car not running right. I have adjusted the timing all over, replaced the distributor, module, coil, cap, rotor, wires, plugs and still cannot get it to run right. It runs strong at idol in park, but now as soon as i put it in gear, it dies. The only difference i can tell with the parts in the spark control module is different. The 86 and 88 use different part numbers. Other then that I am pretty sure the parts are interchangable. Can anybody give me anything else i can try.

Thanks

the computer PROM may have different programming between the 2 years.

No, not the fule pump, the motor is getting plenty of fuel, almost too much, thats why i think its the spark control mod. Havent thought about the computer cause it was running for a week or so, wasnt running great, but it was drivable

try this, pull the plugs and heat them up with a propane or MAPP gas torch, see what happens. you may be running rich and with bad timing, this will foul the plugs. heat and burning the crud off is a good, temporary, fix.

went over this morning before work at 6am and played with it, cranked the timing up and it fired right up and purred like a kitten, dropped into gear, idled good and drove it around the parking lot it has called home since friday. Gonna go after work and try to drive it home, wish me luck. Thanks for the help, hopefully i wont need it again

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor