New 84 Regal project

Status
Not open for further replies.

84Regal Andretti

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 21, 2013
this is my first project.. so bare wit me.. im looking at a ls1, lt1, 350, nd 383 engines to put in my 84 regal. i was looking for power plus good mpg.. it already has a 3.8L v6 dat only has 57,00 miless on it.. no rust no dents no nothing.. jus that motor dat issnt really ever been broking in.. if i put a flowmaster kit on it wuld that give enough power to push 24" inch rims.. and still have good mpg or wulld it b better to jus go wit a whole new motor.. ls1, lt1, 350, 383 stroker????/

84Regal Andretti

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 21, 2013

Attachments

• regal.jpeg
    regal.jpeg
    332 KB · Views: 1,657

YaoGuaiCutlass

Apprentice
Aug 6, 2013
Council Bluffs, Iowa
84Regal Andretti said:
this is my first project.. so bare wit me.. im looking at a ls1, lt1, 350, nd 383 engines to put in my 84 regal. i was looking for power plus good mpg.. it already has a 3.8L v6 dat only has 57,00 miless on it.. no rust no dents no nothing.. jus that motor dat issnt really ever been broking in.. if i put a flowmaster kit on it wuld that give enough power to push 24" inch rims.. and still have good mpg or wulld it b better to jus go wit a whole new motor.. ls1, lt1, 350, 383 stroker????/

Personally I would stay Buick and either get a Buick 350 or 455. I would even get the V6 Turbo. 24 inch rims will affect a lot things such as gearing and gas mileage. I have nothing against the Chevy set-up (as I have had many Chevy's) but unless the Buick Regal came with a stock Chevy Small Block 305 motor I would just say go ahead and use those Buick motor mounts and make it a true Buick. But since it's your build, it's your way and I fully believe in to each his own. :) Good Luck with the Build!

YGspider

G-Body Guru
May 13, 2012
Ontario Canada Eh
That regal is too clean to lift and put 24 " rims. If anything put some 13 or 14 " Daytona's and lower the car. The "lifted 24" Rim is so 2002. Your ride do what you going to do, I'd say drop a 350 Crate engine, Turbo 350 trans in that sucker and put some Chrome GN wheels and you would have a nice Ride.

Gbarrie

Master Mechanic
Sep 15, 2012
84Regal Andretti said:
[
84regal Andretti welcome, Man thats a clean regal! Leave her be, You don't see them that clean anymore, Few
and far between. As for the 24's never really was my thing, I like your buick road wheels as she sits. Put the
24's on and bad gas miledge and suspension problems forsure. But as said above its your car do as you please
just my 2 cents and to each his own.
Gbarrie.

81KiddCutty

Apprentice
Apr 29, 2013
YGspider said:
That regal is too clean to lift and put 24 " rims. If anything put some 13 or 14 " Daytona's and lower the car. The "lifted 24" Rim is so 2002. Your ride do what you going to do, I'd say drop a 350 Crate engine, Turbo 350 trans in that sucker and put some Chrome GN wheels and you would have a nice Ride.
I agree 24s are just to much for a super clean regal id go 20s or 22s but that's your build. the 13s or 14s are a great idea for any regal or olds I personally have 14x7 72 spoke cross laced galaxy's on 185/70/r14 white walls

RUDE DOG

Apprentice
Oct 1, 2012
84Regal Andretti said:

If you have to cut the frame in any way just to fit 24 inch rims then its not worth it because youll have a car with an appearance youll like but will suffer with driveability issues. Id put some nice wheels that fit and keep a nice stance on the car. I can tell you that if you decide to go with big wheels then you really wont enjoy the car much because youll have lots of issues.heres a pic of my brothers monte car he sold. he got sick of throwing money at it and still wasnt rite.

Attachments

• monte 017.jpg
    monte 017.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 1,580

84Regal Andretti

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 21, 2013
Personally I would stay Buick and either get a Buick 350 or 455. I would even get the V6 Turbo. 24 inch rims will affect a lot things such as gearing and gas mileage. I have nothing against the Chevy set-up (as I have had many Chevy's) but unless the Buick Regal came with a stock Chevy Small Block 305 motor I would just say go ahead and use those Buick motor mounts and make it a true Buick. But since it's your build, it's your way and I fully believe in to each his own. :) Good Luck with the Build!

so wat wuld b better to go for.. ls1 or v6 turbo. because im looking for power and everyday driveability.. i like the idea of the 22's. dats wat i had in mind at first.. my interior is in good shape everything is intact. But i always wntd bucket seats in it.. wuld that be a hard transfer.

84Regal Andretti

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 21, 2013
another idea is what could i add on to a stock 3.8L v6 motor to give it more power and keep the same mpg. wuld i have to gt a new rear end.

YaoGuaiCutlass

Apprentice
Aug 6, 2013
Council Bluffs, Iowa
84Regal Andretti said:
another idea is what could i add on to a stock 3.8L v6 motor to give it more power and keep the same mpg. wuld i have to gt a new rear end.

You could get that original V6 in it a turbo to be like the Grand Nationals or bore it and get new cam and rebuild it. Your rear end should be just fine. Those 22's however will affect your gas mileage significantly since your rear end is not geared for 22's but it is gear for 14's or 15's. Other members on here know more about gearing than I do. I believe your best bet would be to add on and redo the Buick V6 and stay with the stock wheel set-up of 14's or 15's OR have someone re-gear everything. As for those seats and interior any bucket seats from any g-body with fit without too much of a hassle. My hassle was that the bolts holding down my bench seat were rotten and so I have to cut them and get new ones for my buckets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor