New car, non G Body, Question... NOW WITH PIC's

Status
Not open for further replies.

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
Alright, Cadillac guy's I need some pointers here if you can. I just bought a next to mint, original owner 94 Deville. Runs and drives perfect, cond inside and out next to perfect. It's kinda like a light purple (lavender) color with brown leather. 4.9 non Northstar. Here's the problem, the gauge cluster is out (completely black). It includes the speedo, fuel and whatever message center, and the heater information. The heater still works fine it just doesn't display. And I just figured out that the clock on the radio don't shut off. It stays illuminated all the time. I just got the car tonight and don't know alot about Caddys so I'm looking for some pointers/ideas. Oh and everything else on the car works fine. Thanks for any help here.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
i'd start off by checking the fuses, then find the wiring diagram and make sure the gauge cluster has power and ground.

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
I'm thinking. I don't know, I was thinking fuse or relay but the cluster does have power a couple idiot lights light up and with the headlights on the little illumination bulbs light up around it. The radio has me puzzeled I guess. Why wouldn't the clock shut off? Would this cause any of it?? It's probably somethin simple (I hope :oops: ). I just picked it up today so I haven't had much time to look at it yet. I'll throw up some pics tommarow. I only paid $800 for it.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Your digital cluster probably needs to be replaced.
I don't know about the Caddy ones, but the digital displays in the '94-'96 Caprice's were notorious for failing, and that's right in the same era.

itsnotanova

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2008
Bastrop,Tx
I think your problem is that you're addicted to buying cheap cars. I'm an addict also and it takes one to know one. :lol: But if I were in your shoes I would take the cluster out if possible, see if anything looks out of place and if I could get a replacement for cheap, go ahead and put the other one in and see if the new one does the same. I feel your pain though. I think working on dash problems are the worst unless your a contortionist. Probably didn't answer your question but good luck.

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
itsnotanova said:
I think your problem is that you're addicted to buying cheap cars. I'm an addict also and it takes one to know one. :lol: But if I were in your shoes I would take the cluster out if possible, see if anything looks out of place and if I could get a replacement for cheap, go ahead and put the other one in and see if the new one does the same. I feel your pain though. I think working on dash problems are the worst unless your a contortionist. Probably didn't answer your question but good luck.

lol yeah, this is tru cheap cars don't hurt as much when you jump um :wink: :wink:

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
Somebody just told me that they think the clock is suppose to stay lit up. Just the clock stays lit the radio shuts off. Any idea's anybody??? Anyone got one of these or another GM that does it?

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
My grandfather has not owned a caddy for a few years but i also think that the radio should stay lit, i believe the cluster and the clock really have nothing to do with each other, i would not worry about the clock much, just get a different cluster and see what happens

ididit

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 16, 2009
caddy

i have seen alot of ground issue's on those vech. does the fuel center work if one or the other died it will take out dash and other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor