New car rant

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
The wife's '07 Santa Fe is easy to do headlights, now the parking & "city" lights are a pain. The old POS '08 Silverado sucked. The '96 C/K was super easy.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
It's never always new stuff.
Had a 1988 Japanese sedan that you had to pull a drive axle out to change out the alternator.
You could get the alt loose, but no way to remove it without pulling a front axle.
I didn't cry when that burned itself up in my driveway....
Sounds like an Accord.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Never had the pleasure.

I'll be needing to replace the belt tensioner on my wife's Toyota soon. It's sandwiched between the block and AC compressor. Been a few years since I've done one but it's a 3-4 hour job IIRC. Certainly could have been designed for easier replacement. Not sure that it would be considered a regular wear item though. Certainly was on Chrysler minivans a few years ago though. Seems like a week didn't go by that I didn't replace one or two of those.

Nov 4, 2012
Is that Toyota a 4 or 6 cylinder? Toyota really shoehorns some of those sixes into their cars.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
As a has-been tech I've scratched my head at a lot of the OE's engineering decisions. Fact is, they don't really care beyond cost and manufacturing ease. But normal wear items should be accessible. Bulbs, belts, fluids, etc shouldn't take special effort to access. i can understand something like plugs (100k intervals) being a chore on some cars. Heater cores and fuel pumps do fail but aren't expected to so I never expect them to be quick or easy.
I think one thing that is a blatant planned obsolescence is "lifetime" transmission fluid. No dipstick and major complicated refill procedure is total bullshit.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Is that Toyota a 4 or 6 cylinder? Toyota really shoehorns some of those sixes into their cars.
2.7 in a Venza. I just looked up the part and I may have misspoken. looks like it may be pretty straight forward. The 3.5 is sandwiched though and there isn't much room to lay the compressor out of the way. Then you need to get to a couple hidden bolts. Seems to me that those were the reason I bought a set of EZRed wrenches.
ez-red-flexible-extra-long-spline-drive-ratcheting-wrenches.jpg
WR5ML-copy.jpg

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I got to be careful with this thread. I'm more aggravated at work than happy, well neutral, with these new cars. I finde at least 3 things a day that should be here. I don't work on anything without book value so it's all new stuff and I don't care what anyone says it's never easy. Most cars I do I need to disassemble them for a good hour just to measure them. And people wonder why my daily is an 80 K-30

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I got to be careful with this thread. I'm more aggravated at work than happy, well neutral, with these new cars. I finde at least 3 things a day that should be here. I don't work on anything without book value so it's all new stuff and I don't care what anyone says it's never easy. Most cars I do I need to disassemble them for a good hour just to measure them. And people wonder why my daily is an 80 K-30
Some of the stories and pictures I've gotten from my brother make me glad I'm not a body guy. I've got a lot of respect for a body tech that can save a heavy hit. It's a rare skill and is underappreciated.

• Agree

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Some of the stories and pictures I've gotten from my brother make me glad I'm not a body guy. I've got a lot of respect for a body tech that can save a heavy hit. It's a rare skill and is underappreciated.
I jus did a Mazda 6 that kicked my *ss last week that 2 Volvo's and a BMW with the normal abuse from the bosses I wanted to kill the next person that asked me a stupid question

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor