New G body owner - '85 GP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
All good info. I'm not keeping the factory carb. It's going. I will probably run some sensors to keep the car functional and look stock and re-flash the EGR and some other items out so the CE light does not come on.

I'm confused. I thought that the computer controlled the timing and the fuel mixture on the carburetor. If you remove the carburetor from the system, all the computer will be left to control is the timing. What's the benefit from this? If they do a visual inspection for emissions they'd notice an aftermarket carburetor. I just don't understand why you'd want to leave the computer in the equation if you take away the Quadrajet.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

tdvick

Master Mechanic
Jun 25, 2010
Elk River, Mn.
No thought of parking a Pontiac motor under the hood? Stock rebuild on a 400 or 455 with a little more cam and that thing would move quite nicely. The swap is quite easy too.

• Agree

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
All good info. I'm not keeping the factory carb. It's going. I will probably run some sensors to keep the car functional and look stock and re-flash the EGR and some other items out so the CE light does not come on.

Let me know how re-flashing the EGR goes :)

If you don't want the cel light coming on just pull the bulb ( mine works much better that way ). The car will run like poop if you remove either the CCC distributor or CCC carburetor and related sensors as the PCM will put the car into limp mode.
My car has the CCC system removed but will pass visual inspection for a non-ccc equipped car with charcoal canister, catalytic convertor, egr all intact. If you do remove the CCC system try to keep all the sensors, harness, carb and distributor intact. They will be worth good money to someone who is restoring their car to showroom fresh.

FL85GrandPrix

Apprentice
Nov 10, 2016
Tampa, FL
I need to figure out how the factory computer and carb work. The point of keeping the ECM somewhat functional is when a Scanner is hooked to the connector under the dash it shows RPM, Coolant Temp etc. And no codes present.

How is the stock 200R4 controlled? Anything to do with the computer?

• Useful

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
I need to figure out how the factory computer and carb work. The point of keeping the ECM somewhat functional is when a Scanner is hooked to the connector under the dash it shows RPM, Coolant Temp etc. And no codes present.

How is the stock 200R4 controlled? Anything to do with the computer?

The 200-4R isn't computer controlled. There are lots of mods to make the 200-4R a really good transmission.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
The computer controls the TCC lockup, but there are lots of kits to do this without the computer.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX

No Emissions tests plugs into a GM ALDL port. Unless its a CARB compliant nanny state, they don't even open the hood, either. Sniffer in the exhaust, Sensor laid on hood picks up RPM, roller Dynomometer does low speed and high speed emissions.

dave1978

Apprentice
Aug 6, 2011
Hello everyone. Veteran car enthusiast and first time G body owner as of last week. I've owned a lot of cars and trucks and it seemed like I could never land a G body. Time has come. I found a gem. 1985 GP LE. 305, console w/bucket seats, 2.xx gear, one owner from an elderly lady who bought it new. 95k original miles. Car even has the original windshield and Delco radio and Factory speakers. Dash is 100/100. This car is beyond super clean. The engine bay is showing it's age though. Car runs great but it's going to be a garaged toy that I drive on the weekends to car shows and such. I want to keep the car as stock as possible from the outside. The interior is only getting new tint as I want the interior stock and it already has the console shifter. So that leaves powertrain.

Engine & Trans. I've been reading through the LS swap thread... lot of good info there. My brother had a LS1 Ram Air F body in the early 2000's. Good powerhouse. Don't know much about them after that other than I have a '14 GM truck with the 5.3L that is unreal. I'm also looking at a crate 350 with a 4 barrel as an option, such as a Edelbrock Estreet motor pkg. 315HP, fully assembled with carb. Third and final option is build the good running 305 that is there which is probably not going to happen. Each of these 3 options have pluses and minuses. I really need some input. Thanks.
I would go LS if I could

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
The computer controls the lockup function of the trans.

I will mention again that not all cars came from the factory with the CCC system. I am banking on the fact if there is ever a tech inspecting my car they will not know and will have no way of knowing whether my monte was one of the cars that came from the factory with the CCC system or not. I have thus completely removed any trace of CCC system from my vehicle. For the lockup function you can purchase a kit or wire up a toggle switch to control that function.

The non ccc equipped cars used your standard 70's emissions setup consisting of an EGR, Charcoal Canister, catalytic convertor & pcv as their standard emissions equipment.

So either you work with the CCC system as a whole or you remove and replace its components ( dist and carb ) to go back to 70's tech. Or option 3 get a stand alone EFI system.

70's tech is the cheapest and easiest route.

• Informative
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor