New Guy LS swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
I'm pretty mechanically inclined and have skills. And I do have metal fad and welding skill. Starting the budget at 8k my goal is not to race just have a strong reliable classic
You can get a iron block truck based swap done for that kind of money. No shame in them at all, that's what I run. I would look into an aftermarket efi setup. The factory stuff works but is not very user friendly and by the time you have gathered up all the software and modified the harness to work standalone its the same amount of money. These engines are very reliable, make triple the power of the stock engines, and get better mileage. Oh, they are fun and lively too.

BoogieDown 78 cutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 13, 2019
You can get a iron block truck based swap done for that kind of money. No shame in them at all, that's what I run. I would look into an aftermarket efi setup. The factory stuff works but is not very user friendly and by the time you have gathered up all the software and modified the harness to work standalone its the same amount of money. These engines are very reliable, make triple the power of the stock engines, and get better mileage. Oh, they are fun and lively too.
Thanks what do you suggest I should get the iron block out of ?

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Thanks car looks awesome great job
Thanks, there is a ton of info there.
Everybody expects to be spoon fed! The hours all of us that have logged reading and doing LS swaps would be mind blowing. Not to mention documenting it like you, myself and many others have done.
I wouldn't necessarily say spoonfed in this case, he's not asking what mounts and all that like the masses of lazy do.
I'm pretty mechanically inclined and have skills. And I do have metal fad and welding skill. Starting the budget at 8k my goal is not to race just have a strong reliable classic
That budget will get you something decent if you can do you own work.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Just a matter of what you feel like spending. My 6.0l LQ4 came from a 2006 3/4 ton work van. Yes, a van. Tossed a set of LS2 243 Heads on it with a LS6 Intake and a nice healthy Cam, and it's the "budget 500hp"..

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
See my signature for trials, tribulations, and ideas.

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory

Ok, you won't find this hard then.

For what you want, any RWD GM V8 equipped truck or van from 2001 and up.

Look for a cable throttle body, itll be easier.

You want 862 or 706 heads and 5.3 block.

2004 and up are Drive by wire Throttle bodies. No biggie, just find a 01-03 intake and swap. Truck intake is ugly but will make more useable power. The only real difference between the DBW and DBC intake is the cable throttle mount and EGR inlet on the passenger side behind the throttle bodies. you can get a block off plate for the hole so it's not a big deal.

Summit makes cams now and they have stock valvetrain friendly upgrades. Plan a cam swap, plenty of how to videos online. I suggest "The Driveway Engineer" on youtube. Great budget friendly advice.

Plan to buy a swap pan and mounts, you have a couple different options, Holley is the easiest but most expensive. Everyone makes mounts and swap components now so you might have to do some research on what will work on a g body.

You will need an efi fuel pump, pretty easy to hang in the tank with an efi sending unit and wire to a single relay.

Truck power steering bolts right onto our later model metric steering boxes.

The rest is picking a trans and the electronics to run it. And there is lots of info about that online and in forums like HP Tuners.

Reactions: 2 users

BoogieDown 78 cutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 13, 2019
Thanks, there is a ton of info there.

I wouldn't necessarily say spoonfed in this case, he's not asking what mounts and all that like the masses of lazy do.

That budget will get you something decent if you can do you own work.
Yeah I plan on doing my own work and putting my boys to work as well lol

BoogieDown 78 cutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 13, 2019
Ok, you won't find this hard then.

For what you want, any RWD GM V8 equipped truck or van from 2001 and up.

Look for a cable throttle body, itll be easier.

You want 862 or 706 heads and 5.3 block.

2004 and up are Drive by wire Throttle bodies. No biggie, just find a 01-03 intake and swap. Truck intake is ugly but will make more useable power. The only real difference between the DBW and DBC intake is the cable throttle mount and EGR inlet on the passenger side behind the throttle bodies. you can get a block off plate for the hole so it's not a big deal.

Summit makes cams now and they have stock valvetrain friendly upgrades. Plan a cam swap, plenty of how to videos online. I suggest "The Driveway Engineer" on youtube. Great budget friendly advice.

Plan to buy a swap pan and mounts, you have a couple different options, Holley is the easiest but most expensive. Everyone makes mounts and swap components now so you might have to do some research on what will work on a g body.

You will need an efi fuel pump, pretty easy to hang in the tank with an efi sending unit and wire to a single relay.

Truck power steering bolts right onto our later model metric steering boxes.

The rest is picking a trans and the electronics to run it. And there is lots of info about that online and in forums like HP Tuners.
Thanks appreciate all the help really informative

Reactions: 1 users

Tom Lambert

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 25, 2018
Thanks appreciate all the help really informative
BoogieDown, I'm doing an LS swap in a 78 Cutlass and will be glad to help in any way. I have two Sons that have done this swap several times and they are helping me. Let us know what information you need? I'm using the Holley parts and a crate motor but my Sons use junk yard motors and ebay parts, so we have been down both roads.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor