New Guy LS swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
2005+ trucks have gen4 rods if you plan on power adders. Gen3 is plenty for all but the gnarliest of naturally aspirated builds.

Reactions: 1 users

BoogieDown 78 cutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 13, 2019
BoogieDown, I'm doing an LS swap in a 78 Cutlass and will be glad to help in any way. I have two Sons that have done this swap several times and they are helping me. Let us know what information you need? I'm using the Holley parts and a crate motor but my Sons use junk yard motors and ebay parts, so we have been down both roads.
Thanks alot I'm gonna go the junkyard way for my first try lol but I appreciate you reaching out I will need all the advice and tips to get this project started and finished seems like alot of things that need to be done in order for this swap to work I almost was gonna throw in the towel before I even started and looked for a olds 350 but I want the new in the old so when I pop the hood I get that wow I did that feeling

AZRegal

Greasemonkey
Aug 20, 2017
Mesa AZ
I'll save you a lot of time and sell you mine. Rust free and LS1 swapped already. It'll be cheap. Blazer brake upgrade done, bell tech lowering spindles. Hotchkis rear springs, 85 442 sway bars and steering box, 85 t-type 8.5 rear end w/ aluminum drums, 99 LS1 with about 99,000 miles on it now, Be cool radiator and dual spal electric fans, and all the Holley gbody swap parts. Also your choice of the GTA wheels or some new 16x8 torque thrust from 2004.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

BoogieDown 78 cutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 13, 2019
Fuel system mods, exhaust system mods, stouter rear diff, electrical mods,chassis mods,don't expect everything to fit as advertised.Almost finished with my 6.0/ 4l80e hydro boost 8.8 rear swap, lot easier to go SBC carb.Good luck!
Yeah I was thinking of just going SBC carb but I keep hearing the LS is the way to go as far as reliability and power upgrades and price wise

BuickBroke$

Greasemonkey
Aug 4, 2018
Phoenix AZ
Funny how some guys sit on these forums, but then b*tch about helping people out. Sorry, but most of us don’t have hours and hours to search through years of threads pages and pages long to find out not that much. The whole point of the forums is to share and help, so do that or don’t post a reply, would make everyone’s life a lot easier.

Boogiedown, I’m in the middle of a 5.3/4l60e/turbo swap now, and it’s a pita. Still going to do it though, because I’m tired of old engines that run lousy and stick, not to mention how much more it costs to make a sbc as efficient as an LS. Be careful on the Holley/Hooker mounts as I just posted on another thread that mine were mis-boxed. Got C10 mounts instead and they look so similar it took the Holley design engineer to tell me that they were wrong. Try to get a 5.3 as complete as possible with trans, it’ll make life a lot easier than piecing things together. Don’t get VVTor DOD engines. Look online and you will find how to tell the difference. Good luck!

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
I’m in the middle of a 5.3/4l60e/turbo swap now, and it’s a pita.
uPsb4s2.jpg
49858472_587613381757854_8429354670042152443_n.jpg
51725340_242475233370407_4702862513105566633_n.jpg

God-Damn-4L60E.jpg
809177-9dc711397f8af1b2f790b15679a4c87f.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

BoogieDown 78 cutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 13, 2019
Funny how some guys sit on these forums, but then b*tch about helping people out. Sorry, but most of us don’t have hours and hours to search through years of threads pages and pages long to find out not that much. The whole point of the forums is to share and help, so do that or don’t post a reply, would make everyone’s life a lot easier.

Boogiedown, I’m in the middle of a 5.3/4l60e/turbo swap now, and it’s a pita. Still going to do it though, because I’m tired of old engines that run lousy and stick, not to mention how much more it costs to make a sbc as efficient as an LS. Be careful on the Holley/Hooker mounts as I just posted on another thread that mine were mis-boxed. Got C10 mounts instead and they look so similar it took the Holley design engineer to tell me that they were wrong. Try to get a 5.3 as complete as possible with trans, it’ll make life a lot easier than piecing things together. Don’t get VVTor DOD engines. Look online and you will find how to tell the difference. Good luck!
Thanks alot I appreciate the help. And you're absolutely right about people replying negatively on the forum. I joined this for advice and appreciate the input I do receive. Will I need to do anything with the fuel tank and driveshaft with this swap?

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Shorten the driveshaft and install an efi pump in tank along with a return line. Can use a GN sender or an aftermarket. Almost too many choices to list. Then you start the whole battle about using a sumped tank or not. I would use the Holley Hydramat on the pump and call it good. But once again, that's a personal choice. I don't want the splash back of an aftermarket tank that is all too common.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
No one minds you asking for advice, but there are so many LS swaps out there (entire sub forum here) that ALL of your questions have already been asked and answered MANY times over, if not on this board, there's pro-touring, ls1tech, sloppy mechanics, and plenty of others. Don't get your panties in a wad from a few negative comments when your first post is asking how to do an LS swap you haven't even started. Why not just buy one already done? It's not like they're not out there.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor