New guy needs help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fear

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 26, 2007
Indianapolis
I am getting my hands on a 71 Olds 350 Rocket out of a 442 tomorrow. They want $350 (to much?) I am putting it in my 87 Cuttlass Supreme. I am going to use the 2004-r (will have rebuilt soon) I cant find a SS rear end anywhere, but I'm not sure how long it would hold up. What are my other options. Not looking to break the bank. I just want a nice cruiser slash 1/4 mile twice a year, not a drag car. I have another option, there is a 76 Olds 455 for 150 near me. I think he said it had the J heads. Are all year 455's the same, like I can take the K? heads from 1 year and use them, etc.. Thanks for any help

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
Fear said:
I am getting my hands on a 71 Olds 350 Rocket out of a 442 tomorrow. They want $350 (to much?) I am putting it in my 87 Cuttlass Supreme. I am going to use the 2004-r (will have rebuilt soon) I cant find a SS rear end anywhere, but I'm not sure how long it would hold up. What are my other options. Not looking to break the bank. I just want a nice cruiser slash 1/4 mile twice a year, not a drag car. I have another option, there is a 76 Olds 455 for 150 near me. I think he said it had the J heads. Are all year 455's the same, like I can take the K? heads from 1 year and use them, etc.. Thanks for any help

The value depends on the condition, but $350 for a running 71 455 is not a bad deal. Everything interchanges among all 68-76 Olds big blocks, so swapping heads is no problem. Both motors are low compression, so the only real difference is the heads. As you probably know, just bolt the 307 motor mounts to the 455 and drop it in. DO NOT get 455 motor mounts, they won't work with your frame mounts. Also, you'll either need the early accessory brackets (which have two sets of holes for the big and small blocks) or you'll need to modify the 307 brackets. Either way works. Good luck.

Uncletruck

Master Mechanic
Apr 22, 2007
Erie, PA
JMHO, I think the 350 Rocket you are looking at would be the better pick of the two Olds engines. The 455 engine is heavy, not very powerful for its size and weight, it drinks gas to the tune of about 10 MPG in stock form, and had some oil drain back issues at the upper end of its RPM range. If the 350 is a good runner with no issues, I think $350 is a fair price for a complete one.

-UT-

Fear

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 26, 2007
Indianapolis
Well I went and picked up the 71 old's 350 today. Motor is real clean no oil leaks (no they didnt clean it, I was there :D ) But it was orange. He painted it to match his car, but the gold is still underneath. It has the 2 barrel, but my edelbrock intake and 4B carb should open her up nicely. It was hit in the front and bent the pulleys, but mine off a 77 olds 350 should work right? If I baby my 2004r how long should it last with the added power? I am going to rebuild it myself, with the stage 2 from raptor. But for now the stock rear is in to.

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
Check that engine thoroughly. If the pulleys were bent, I'd walk away from it. To smash the frame hard enough that the core support goes up to the engine and bend anything is a severe hit. That same shock from impact goes right into the motor mounts and the engine will get busted, stressed, cracked (not always).....Too risky for me

Cole

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 28, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
I agree with bent pulleys being a red flag. Who knows what else happened inside the motor...

That aside though, if you want to run the rocket and it works out for you, your 2004r should hold up fine the way it is if you take it easy. The 350 will only put about 50 more ft-lbs through it over the 307. Horsepower isn't much of an issue because the governer will shift at 3500 rpm. After a proper performance rebuild, you shouldn't have anything to worry about unless you are at the track every weekend.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Yeah, I would be concerned with the condition of the crank and maybe even the main webs. Pull the pan and inspect it closely before you install it. Check the thrust bearing web especially as it would be the most likely to have a problem. You also want to spin the crank with the engine on the stand upside down and the pan off to see if it is binding anywhere.

HurstOlds

Master Mechanic
Sep 21, 2007
Illinois
I agree with what's said....

If you have any binding you're fuct. I tried dropping a junk yard unknown issue 350 into my 86 Cutlass. I rebuilt the engine from scratch, acid washed it, cleaned professionally, etc...

When I put it together there was a little binding. It was my first Olds engine rebuild, so I wasn't sure if it was 'normal'. I dropped it in the car and it never ran right.

I would never recommend an engine from a car that was in an accident, let alone one that had the pulley bent. Sorry man, you should have saved the money :(

I hope it goes well 4 u

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor