New guy with Muncie questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heavy Chevy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 30, 2017
Hey guys and gals. New guy to forum. Long time g body fan. I ve had five or six cutlasses and am currently mid build on my 83. Have a mild 355 almost ready to go and doing a 4 speed Muncie swap. I've swapped just about everything swappable on these cars over the years but never auto to manual. So anyone who has or anyone with factory manual trans I'd be interested in talking to. Thanks

406 Monte

Greasemonkey
Jul 1, 2016
Minnesota
Welcome, there's many on here with manuals including me and lots of knowledge so sure many will chime in on any questions you have.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Welcome to the site. Other than the bell housing, everything is repoped. Shouldn't be too hard to get the right bell house as someone here may have an extra or know where one is. The Muncie is going to be a custom fit as the shifter will sit farther back that the stock Saginaw. Someone will add in good info on using as Muncie. It's a pretty easy swap & will make your ride a little more fun to drive.

Heavy Chevy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 30, 2017
Ya I'm not too concerned really with the trans swap. Pretty straight forward. Besides cutting hole in the floor and I prefer the location of the shifter better than some off the factory locations. Would like to see some pics of what shifters were used and how they look and function. Header choice with manual linkage?

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
I've done it. I have a M-21 in my Malibu. If I did it over I would probably try a few things differently. I'd go hydraulic instead of mechanical linkage. That would also allow a standard bellhousing and larger 11" or even 12" clutch instead of the tiny 10.4" I'm using a Hurst shifter, but there is a custom spacer bolted to the tail shaft that the shifter is in turn bolted to. This allows the user straight rods with heim joints for the linkage. Super tight shift pattern and feel. I absolutely love how it feels. I do not baby the car and I've had people ask why I made it look like a stick shift. They actually heard me drivng it and thought it was an automatic because it shifts so quick LOL Here is the best pic I have of the linkage when I was replacing the floor pan.

DSCF1458.jpg

And the shift hump I made to fit it all

DSCF1494.jpg

DSCF1537.jpg

DSCF1538.jpg

DSCF1534.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Heavy Chevy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 30, 2017
I've done it. I have a M-21 in my Malibu. If I did it over I would probably try a few things differently. I'd go hydraulic instead of mechanical linkage. That would also allow a standard bellhousing and larger 11" or even 12" clutch instead of the tiny 10.4" I'm using a Hurst shifter, but there is a custom spacer bolted to the tail shaft that the shifter is in turn bolted to. This allows the user straight rods with heim joints for the linkage. Super tight shift pattern and feel. I absolutely love how it feels. I do not baby the car and I've had people ask why I made it look like a stick shift. They actually heard me drivng it and thought it was an automatic because it shifts so quick LOL Here is the best pic I have of the linkage when I was replacing the floor pan.

DSCF1458.jpg

And the shift hump I made to fit it all

DSCF1494.jpg

DSCF1537.jpg

DSCF1538.jpg

DSCF1534.jpg
That looks great! I went with an m-20 hoping to keep my rear gears a little higher hoping for a little highway drivability. My shifter bolts on to tail shaft. And I'm hoping to come up more towards the centre of the tunnel. I have a standard bell right now but I've located a Malibu bell not too far away. What headers you use? Did they bolt right in with linkage or you have to modify?

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
I am not using headers. I couldnt find a set that fit mechanical linkage at the time I swapped over to a stick. They do make them now, but only a few choices. Ive had headers on this car before. You get what you pay for. There is no such thing as good and cheap. I had cheap headers and was sick and tired of changing gaskets. I ported some exhaust manifolds and have been using them ever since. I know I'm giving up HP compared to headers, but I want to enjoy my car, not work on it 24/7 and I was too cheap to spend $750 on nice headers. That may change in next few years because I want to go LS with a T56. I just dropped 4K on suspension and frame :D Ridetech a arms, coilovers, new frame, stainless lines, etc.

IMG_20160417_160208176_zps10ayedzr.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor