• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
If you already have the G-body big block headers and a cross-member for a TH400....

For the LS route, grab a 6.0 (around here they are $1800 complete with stock harness, transmission and accessories) Hooker LS G-body engine mounts are $130. The oil pan is $360. The transmission cross-member is $250. The headers for an LS are around $700. Now, that is all before you buy a 6.0 or a cam, or whatever harness and whatever flash or tune. I have seen harnesses go for $350-500. Usually $150 up for a flash or a tune...even if its just turning off the VATS and cats. You will also require a fuel system to support the fuel injection, like a big pump and some lines, maybe a Corvette filter. LS engines make some awesome power, but, if you don't change anything, its going to sound just it did in the truck(stock). If you use the Hooker mounts, oil pan, cross-member, & headers, truck intake manifold and accessories will clear. Column shift linkage will not. Need adapter hoses or a different radiator. Will need another throttle cable. It will have overdrive if you use the whole set-up. If not, figure in an adapter flex plate and pilot hub for the TH400 torque converter (since you have the cross-member already).

For the big block route, get a 454 (around here, right now on craigslist, there are a few for $800-1000 with TH400 with all the accessories) from just about anything ever made. Add a $45 Chevelle oil pan and $15 pickup tube. The 454 will sit in the car with car/small block engine mount cups/clam-shells, they are around $20 each new. Most 454's will have a TH400 behind them. It will fit. It will run. Now, that being said, it will sound just like it did in the dually or truck(stock). The accessories for the 454 will fit in the G-body, the starter, flex plate, all of it and will clear with the Hooker headers you have. Use V8 Monte radiator hoses. The mechanical fuel pump is in the same spot as the 305, so stock fuel lines will work. I have been using Dodge Intrepid fans ($40 used from salvage, $90 new on rockauto.com) and either a stock replacement V8 radiator or a Champion($155 new) all aluminum. Big block style front springs are $60. No flash, no tune. The HEI distributor from a small block or that comes with the 454 will fit and work, you will need to cut the boot down on one wire where the window wiper transmission swings with an HEI.

About all that is left is the drive shaft and it would have to be cut to length in either case.

That is just to either to run. Now, both have some options to make more power or alter the budget along the way.

partsbox

Greasemonkey
May 22, 2016
Maryland
Mackin_1992, Welcome from Maryland!
icon18.gif

el camino ss 84

Master Mechanic
Oct 23, 2016
Nw okc
If your thinking of any kind of power passed 300 horsepower you might as well just go with ford 9inch and never have to worry about the rear end.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

m ack repeta

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 2, 2016
Thanks for the warm welcome. I was born and raised in Northern WI, so I am all too familiar with rust and what it can do vehicles....

The body and frame are in very good shape, there is no rust to contend with on the body really except for in the driver side rear wheel well where the sheet metal is tack welded together being swollen from corrosion between the sheet metal. Aside from the that everything is in great shape including the doors. There is some very light surface rusting on the front frame rails where the engine used to sit because the previous owner removed the engine a year before I purchased the car and it did not have a hood on it so the weather got to where it usually wouldn't. I am pretty excited to go through it and intend to pull the body from the frame, sandblast the frame, paint it and then go through it from the bottom up. I hope to start the restoration this winter as I know all to well it is a slow process that usually get placed on hold multiple times during the build for financial reasons.

My friends at work all tell me to not waste my money on a G Body because they are garbage cars, but Ithem....
y hats off to all you g body owners keep the faith and to all of you that keep this forum goin thank tyou

m ack repeta

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 2, 2016
y hats off to all you g body owners keep the faith and to all of you that keep this forum goin thank tyou
go with your gut! big block did you ever watch fast and the furius at the end when he pulled out his dads car [i know not the same it was a mopar] and unleashed the beast. thats what these guys are tryn to tell you a built bbc will set you back in your seat . its deffinetly a rush

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor