New Olds guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Hello everyone. Been a long time member of http://www.realoldspower.com, http://www.oldspower.com and http://www.pro-touring.com but just happened upon this site through another forum. Figured I'd sign up!

My car is an '87 Olds Cutlass Supreme that I bought as my first car when I turned 16. Drove it for years as a daily driver to high school and college. It started off with 69,000 original miles and the base 307 Y roller engine, TH-2004R and 2.56 rear. But it did have the F-41 suspension package and was always a decent handling car for what it was.
This is essentially how it looked back then (minus the cowl hood which was added years later)

andrewscutlass2.jpg

Over the years I upgraded a few things starting with the transmission when it blew up at 104,000 miles. Then had the stock 7.5" rear rebuilt with an Auburn limited slip and Richmond 3.73 gears. When I was a sophomore in college and built a pretty basic 455 and dropped it in and its been down hill ever since. lol

About seven years go I decided to take it to a friend of mine to have a few rust issues fixed and repainted. The more we got into it, the more rust we found and then it just became one big "might-as-well" project. We found the rear inner wheel well housings were rusted and pulling away from the trunk floor. So since those needed cut out, might as well notch the frame. Also found that the frame had rusted through around a few of the body mounts so I decided to replace those. Then we figured it wasn't that far from just pulling the entire body from the frame. I believe that was the point of no return.
I ended up pulling the 455 and completely rebuilding it. Afterall, if the car was going to look as mean as I thought it was, I couldn't have a slow 13.9 second big block in there. I also decided at that time that I wanted to go with a manual transmission so I found a stock LT1 T-56 out of a '96 Camaro SS for a reasonable price and snatched it up.
And since the frame was out from under the car I might as well replace all of the suspension, after all, it had close to 200,000 miles on it.
As for the body, I've mostly "blacked out" everything except for a few key chrome pieces like the grilles, etc. I've bought the FE3X kit from Angelo Valenti to use on the car as well which has been the basis of this entire build. My goal has been to make somewhat of an "FE3X Clone" but done in how I think GM should have done it and using more modern technology than what they used at the time.

Below are a few of the build pictures.

Engine test fit -

IMG_1338.jpg

IMG_1339.jpg

Body side shot before engine install -

IMG_1292.jpg

IMG_1298.jpg

Underbody refinish on the rotisserie. There's roughly 2-3 coats of Cascade Audio VB 1-X sprayable sound deadening on the bottom of the car with a few coats of Rustoleum rubberized undercoating on top of that. On the inside the floors are covered in Dupli-color truck bead coating, 80mil sound deadener, Second Skin Audio 'Firewall' sprayable insulation, Second Skin Audio Spectrum sprayable sound deadener, two layers of 1/8" sound insulation foam and then the stock rubber sound deadener -

IMG_1276.jpg

IMG_1277.jpg

Picture of the frame:

IMG_1145-s.jpg

IMG_1146-s.jpg

A few interior shots of the redyed dash and custom gauges:

IMG_1367.jpg

IMG_1376.jpg

And last but not least, a few videos of the engine. First one is when I test fired it outside of the car with a standard vacuum advance HEI and 750cfm Speed Demon carb so that I could setting the timing and make sure it ran before messing with the fuel injection.
Second video is after I had the EFI hooked up and was working on getting it tuned. The second video I also put my mufflers on so that I could try to hear myself think a little better. It wasn't much quieter than open headers. LOL
Since the second video I had tuned the engine a little more and leaned it out quite a bit and its revving even faster now. 🙂 But I had a coolant leak at the intake and had pull it back off to seal it. Haven't fired it back up yet.

Well, that's pretty much it. Sorry for the long post.

welcome,welcome!Funny I read your thread on the pro touring site yesterday,love the cutlass man 8)

Awesome, I've read your thread on pro touring too. Love the whole idea of the build!

Thanks guys!

Spent a little time out in the barn tonight test fitting the rear FE3X fascia. Unfortunately, like most fiberglass pieces, this will need modified to fit perfect. I had to cut it in half because it was too wide for the car. Luckily fiberglass is pretty easy to work with.

IMG_1670.jpg

That also shows the Monte SS rear spoiler mounted to the trunk lid. It looks like the Monte trunklid might have a slightly different curve to it than the Olds. It fits pretty darn good but could be better. I'm going to have to modify the tips at the ends since they hit the top of the Olds taillights. I'm still trying to decide if I want to keep it as a bolt-on piece or if I'll just fiberglass it into the trunk lid permenately.

Also been working on a custom upper and lower radiator hoses using 1.75" OD exhaust tubing. Got the upper tacked together and just need to finish welding it and then powder coat it.

IMG_1675.jpg

IMG_1676.jpg

I'm really stoked to get this thing into paint but that probably won't happen until spring. Although my neighbor just happens to build hot rods and does really nice paint and body work. He's offered to help show me how to do the bodywork for pretty much nothing! 🙂

Hi Andrew, welcome to GBodyForum. We've spoken over on Pro-Touring.com a few times. Been following your build really closely. That's going to be ONE SWEET RIDE!!!

I'll probably be PM'ing you on your gauges (I already have on PT in the past but have a few more questions) and a few more things.

Doug

Those rad. hoses are realy slick! I can't wait to get a welder lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor