New Owner- Fuel problems

IssacT210

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 14, 2023
It shouldn't be up and down, that constantly.

You now have to figure out the issue with getting the proper flow of gas to your carb in this situation now.

1. Is it the fuel pump?
2. Is it a fuel line?

Or.

3. Is it the sending unit, inside the tank 😎💪
How hard is it to run new lines? I’m pretty good at messing with cars and changing things out. This is just my 1st carburetor car. I’ve read the fuel sending unit just measure the amount of fuel in the fuel tank and communicate the fuel level to the fuel gauge on the vehicle dashboard. So just leaves fuel line or pump?

Reactions: 1 user

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
How hard is it to run new lines? I’m pretty good at messing with cars and changing things out. This is just my 1st carburetor car. I’ve read the fuel sending unit just measure the amount of fuel in the fuel tank and communicate the fuel level to the fuel gauge on the vehicle dashboard. So just leaves fuel line or pump?
It's not hard, but it helps if you have a lift or proper jacks however that is.

The sending unit, does do that but it also has the metal tubes up top, which run to your fuel lines.

If those are clogged, you will have an issue but check the other 2, and if that doesn't work? Then you will have to see if you need another one!

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
I would start with the rubber fuel lines, a pin hole can cause the problems you are having. There is one from the tank to the steel line running up the frame and one from the line running up the frame to the fuel pump.

The fuel tank sending unit has a screen on it. Before dropping the tank look for debris in the tank white oxidized crud or rust.
P04_FRO.jpg

If those fail to do it change the fuel pump.

IssacT210

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 14, 2023
I would start with the rubber fuel lines, a pin hole can cause the problems you are having. There is one from the tank to the steel line running up the frame and one from the line running up the frame to the fuel pump.

The fuel tank sending unit has a screen on it. Before dropping the tank look for debris in the tank white oxidized crud or rust.
View attachment 217979

If those fail to do it change the fuel pump.
image.jpg

Right now I’m ordering strainer will be here tomorrow. I’m also get mechanical fuel pump. When I disconnected fuel lines from pump I seen black debris come out so maybe it’s clogged?

IssacT210

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 14, 2023
Today I replaced the fuel pump, hoses to fuel pump and hoses to fuel sender. I will try it today or tomorrow morning. I went around the block and it felt as if it ran way better. I’ll let you know tomorrow how it goes once it warms up

IssacT210

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 14, 2023
So I went for a ride last night. Maybe 40 minutes. It was running waaaay better. Better acceleration less hesitation. Stopped at McDonald’s and while sitting maybe 5 min. Car just turned off. Started right back up with turned the key. Why do you think it would stall out?

IssacT210

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 14, 2023
So problem started where car won’t start at all. I push gas pedal (mechanical pump) and I see gas squirting out. Coming from front of carb. In between carb and manifold from thin black gasket

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Is it me here or is the clocking on this timer off somehow? All the timers I ever dropped had the vacuum advance aimed more or less towards the # 1 cylinder and the plug in on the cap for the wires coming off the timer body to the cap fell on the driver's side of the motor at around 3 O'clock as seen from the front of the car.

Also , looking at the carburetor, there seems to be a space or adapter inserted between the carb's base plate and the intake flange on the manifold. Some one do a carb swap and have to gimmick the job to get the carb to fit?

Any chance on some more pictures from a few more different angles??

Nick

IssacT210

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 14, 2023
Is it me here or is the clocking on this timer off somehow? All the timers I ever dropped had the vacuum advance aimed more or less towards the # 1 cylinder and the plug in on the cap for the wires coming off the timer body to the cap fell on the driver's side of the motor at around 3 O'clock as seen from the front of the car.

Also , looking at the carburetor, there seems to be a space or adapter inserted between the carb's base plate and the intake flange on the manifold. Some one do a carb swap and have to gimmick the job to get the carb to fit?

Any chance on some more pictures from a few more different angles??

Nick
Sorry I removed the carb today. Looks as tho the spacer and gasket that was installed were not the correct fit. Gasket covers everything but spacer leaves the bottom of the L shaped crevice uncovered. Seen in pic. I found a different spacer in trunk of car that looks to fit better. Waiting on some bolts to come in tomorrow to properly install other spacer. As for timing I will take more pics in the a.m. to see

Attachments

• 44C04166-DC7A-4C8C-9402-96334EBF5150.jpeg
    44C04166-DC7A-4C8C-9402-96334EBF5150.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 54
  • A6162DC7-5784-488E-AF59-5741C2613D2A.jpeg
    A6162DC7-5784-488E-AF59-5741C2613D2A.jpeg
    440.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 18E70760-6289-4FD3-89C2-3A4DE895F9A7.jpeg
    18E70760-6289-4FD3-89C2-3A4DE895F9A7.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 58

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Edelbrock AVS carb getting mounted to a factory quadra-jet intake manifold would definitely require an adapter

carburetor-adapter-plate-edelbrock-2696-pa1.jpeg

carburetor-adapter-plate-edelbrock-2696-pa1.jpeg

edl-2696.jpg

These in order of appearance, came off the Parts Avatar site, the Amazon site and the Summit Racing site , all the same, Edelbrock P/N 2696, and the prices are close within a range of 50-60 dollars.

The why of the adapter is that your manifold is drilled for the Q-jet meaning that it has a pair of small primary ports and a bigger set for the secondaries. The AVS is a square bore meaning that all four holes are identical for diameter. The AVS is a direct fit to the Edelbrock Performer series of intakes. (or Holley, or a Chinesium knockoff).

At idle with the old adapter, did you happen to hear any whistling or air sucking noises? Mismatched gasket/adapter mounting faces would definitely be a cause for that to occur.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor