new shifter - QuickSilver

Status
Not open for further replies.

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
86_olds said:
how did u do it for the reverse light ??
lol... I didn't hook it up... :oops: And I left the neutral safety switch out too :oops:

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
khan0165 said:
86_olds said:
lol... I didn't hook it up... :oops: And I left the neutral safety switch out too :oops:
typical east indian :p Hey I'm one of 'em too. :roll:

chevy76monteman

Greasemonkey
Oct 9, 2006
Portland, Oregon, USA
Sorry to bump the post, but in regards to not being able to use the factory gear indicator I found this:

http://buickgn.com/consolegearindicator.htm

Not sure if it would work on a GP console or not, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

442_olds

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2010
Has anyone tried the Quicksilver in the Cutlass console? Looks like it might work (hopefully, with the stock plate and gear indicator). Also, can you still keep the column interlock hooked up? I would like to keep the interlock if possible.

Reactions: 1 user

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Yes, I have one in my '81 however I don't think you can reuse the stock woodgrain plastic piece because the shifter is taller. But, the chrome top cover that comes with the shifter actually fits perfectly in the same spot as the stock woodgrain piece.

You can also keep the stock column interlock but it takes a little cutting and welding. On mine I took the gear selector transmission bracket that was included with the shifter and then used the stock bracket and welded the two together.

This way the new shifter hooks up to the trans with its bracket and you still have a place to connect the column interlock rods as well.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
DoubleV said:
Writeup with pics on installing Quicksilver shifter into Cutlass console; http://spdrcer34.20megsfree.com/

Thanks for that post DoubleV. I couldn't remember what Ryan's website address was for his write-up. This is what I used when installing the one in my '81.

86_olds said:

If you modify the linkage bracket that connects to the trans and weld the stock piece to it then you can retain all of this just like the factory had it. No need to do any wiring.

The bracket will look like this when finished:

Taken from Ryan's site.

dsc00058.jpg

dsc00059.jpg

And what it looks like in a Cutlass console with the Quicksilver top plate (also from Ryan's website):

dsc00048.jpg

dsc00047.jpg

FWIW, these shifters are okay but they can be a big pain in the butt to operate. I actually prefer a stock shifter for a mostly street type car.

442_olds

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2010
Thanks for the info, and for the pics. The shifter looks great! Good to know whether it would work or not before I try it. I'm a long way from doing something like that, but it's something to consider. What I would love to have would be a Hurst Dual Gate for a 4 speed, but those are hard to find and expensive. The only DG that I know of for the 4 speed is one from a mid-80's-early 90's Camaro or Firebird, and of course the DG2. Not sure if they would even fit. The Quicksilver looks like a good deal.

FE3X, what kind of problems make the shifter a pain to operate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor