New Steering Box suggestions please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
monte SS, GN, 442 all share the same exact steering box, right down to the part number.

Most mass rebuild places like auto parts stores rebuild whatever box they get. Vice versa, if you have a "slow ratio" box and get a quick ratio from say, Advance Auto, you can plop your old one in the return box and trade it in as a core. Which means someone looking for that GN box that's quick ratio may be in for a surprise when they go to Advance and buy a steering box for a GN.

The best way to ensure you get a quick ratio is rebuild it yourself, or farm out the job to a place that will return YOUR box. Or do like 565bbchevy suggested and buy one from a reputable vendor so you know what your getting.

If you can't find one of the above boxes, internal stops need changing in an F41 Camaro/Firebird stops, otherwise they're good choices. Only negative thing about them on a G-body is as-is, your turning radius is reduced.
If you don't mind I have 2 more questions.
What is the part number you mention above?
Is it plug and play, or do I need to adjust or change something with the shaft? I'm a big fan of easy and plug and play.

Updates - I did some additional research and the local Auto Zone has Reman Cardone steering boxes for the Monte SS. I can pick it up so no shipping and I can return the core. The case is 170.00 for the one supporting the Monte with Sport Package [Z65] and the other is does not support the sport package for 150.00. Are they both close ratio? I'm guessing the former is.

Last edited:

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
If you don't mind I have 2 more questions.
What is the part number you mention above?
Is it plug and play, or do I need to adjust or change something with the shaft? I'm a big fan of easy and plug and play.
Thanks again.
gm #7843135. Should bolt right in if you already have an 800 series box. If you have a 600 series box (round side cover) you'll need to find an 800 series pitman arm (GM p/n 7837648) Casting number molded onto the arm is 782846415. They're different than the 600 series. But then it's a bolt in.

Issue is, unless you know it's NOS in the box, you can't tell the part number by looking at it. Unless it still has the 2 letter code ink-stamped on it somewhere. Which is YA. Usually stamped on the end cap and/or the side cover (which is on top). And most of the time that gets weathered away over time.

NOS steering box 1.jpg

NOS steering box 2.jpg

NOS Pitman Arm 800 series 7837648.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
1st - thanks for all the feedback. This is greatly appreciated.
My box looks like the one in the photo above. Doing a little more research the Cardone 27-6530 fits my El Camino and the Monte SS w/o the Z65 package. The turn lock to lock is 3 - 3.5. But the Cardone 27-6550 supports the Z65 package and turns lock to lock is 2.5 - 2.7. All other specs are the same. It also has a limited lifetime warranty. Has good reviews. I think I found my box.
Plus I can get it locally so no shipping, and I can return my core. Plus, plus, plus.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Is yours currently a 3+ turn box? If you can get the Z65 spec box, you'll be loving it around town way more than the non-Z65. The only good thing about the 3+ turn boxes is if you do a lot of leisurely highway driving. But if you like to drive around corners, the Z65 spec will do nicely.

This is where it starts. Next thing you know you'll be calling up suspension companies looking for fatter sway bars, taller ball joints, etc., making the elky into a corner carver. :)

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
Is yours currently a 3+ turn box? If you can get the Z65 spec box, you'll be loving it around town way more than the non-Z65. The only good thing about the 3+ turn boxes is if you do a lot of leisurely highway driving. But if you like to drive around corners, the Z65 spec will do nicely.

This is where it starts. Next thing you know you'll be calling up suspension companies looking for fatter sway bars, taller ball joints, etc., making the elky into a corner carver. :)
Mine is currently a 3 turn. Honestly I don't hate the 3 turn, its part of what the car is. Just that my box is really sloppy. Anything will be better.

Reactions: 1 user

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I went on Redhead's and Bluetop's sites and didn't see anything for the G body? They can turn a slow truck box into a fast box or an even slower box. Disappointing to see they don't monkey with these boxes. Maybe they service the Jeep boxes? They change bushings for bearings and make a number of internal changes. Would be nice to have that as an option.

Reactions: 1 user

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
I went on Redhead's and Bluetop's sites and didn't see anything for the G body? They can turn a slow truck box into a fast box or an even slower box. Disappointing to see they don't monkey with these boxes. Maybe they service the Jeep boxes? They change bushings for bearings and make a number of internal changes. Would be nice to have that as an option.
check into powersteering.com if you're looking to send your current box changed around/rebuilt/returned.
there's cheaper options out there

Reactions: 1 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
1st - thanks for all the feedback. This is greatly appreciated.
My box looks like the one in the photo above. Doing a little more research the Cardone 27-6530 fits my El Camino and the Monte SS w/o the Z65 package. The turn lock to lock is 3 - 3.5. But the Cardone 27-6550 supports the Z65 package and turns lock to lock is 2.5 - 2.7. All other specs are the same. It also has a limited lifetime warranty. Has good reviews. I think I found my box.
Plus I can get it locally so no shipping, and I can return my core. Plus, plus, plus.
Go back and reread the second paragraph of post 7.

What he's telling you is that you may or may not get an actual quick ratio box.

I can vouch for this, guy at work bought one for his "84" MCSS,* it was a regular 800 series box.

Most of these mainline rebuilders take all the cores apart, separate the pieces into separate piles, and reassemble with whichever part happens to be at the top of the pile.

FWIW, my 83 Malibu wagon had the 12.7 800 series box in it from the assembly line

*While titled as an '84 with a VIN plate to match, it was born white with red interior, had the big mirrors, 86/87 gauges, 3.73 axle, and a very obvious spot where the SPID label had been peeled from the decklid. I said "tag job", but he didn't care. I didn't crawl under the dash to check the VIN rivets, but I'd bet they were wrong

Last edited:

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
What I like about my Borgeson gearbox is that it is completely new, not new parts in an old case or remanufactured or rebuilt.
The casing is different from the factory one and even has their name cast in

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor