New Steering Box suggestions please

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Apart from checking lock to lock, check for dryness. If it's dry around the seals, this is good.

If it's a greaseball, you may want to consider a rebuild kit. There's plenty of Youtube vids showing how to rebuild one of these boxes. Just need a pitman puller and some basic tools. Oh, and a rebuild kit. KEEP TRACK OF YOUR BALLS!!!!!

Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
"note to self, stay away from F body boxes" thanks.... just found a local with a Z65 out of a 86-87 elcamino with sport package.....

That should get me in the 2.? turns to lock? any thing to double check when I pick it up?
Before you buy the box try to turn the arm side to side when its out. It should be smooth. You wont feel anything through the steering column and wheel. I got a manual box from an S10 from a yard and it was choppy when it was out of the car. Junk.

Low_Bridge

Apprentice
Jan 22, 2014
Backwoods
It's at a shop in Ocala selling vintage type parts. It's rebuilt & he confirmed he had one in stock, the Z65 for el camino with sport package. It would be up to me before I purchase. So I simply need to swing the arm from left to right to be sure the input turns less than 3 to confirm I'm getting a quicker box than the 605 that's in there? I think it was like $139 with a $39 core. other than that I am contemplating just buying from summit.........

btw as I now remember the 605 was leaking right out of the top from the big round disk. I don't guess a new o ring might be the fix alone as she still operates properly....... (?)

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
Update - I took my ride to the shop for get the steering box replaced and my mechanic said my original box was fine and in good shape. He said the problem was all sorts of linkages and arms on the front end were loose and even if I replaced the box, I'd still have all the play. So I asked him to fix it all, and change the box anyway. The old box is 3.5 turns lock to lock and the new box is tight ratio. + a few other things including a 4 wheel alignment. Wow, it feels like a new G-body. I have a rear sway bar coming this week also. Making progress.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I'm sure he was trying to save you money and that's ok I guess, but your mechanic is a hired hand and if you hire him to change the box and fix all the other loose junk underneath, that's what he should do. Glad it worked out for you and as you found out, having a good, reliable steering and suspension system can make a world of difference.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor