New Steering Box suggestions please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
Go back and reread the second paragraph of post 7.

What he's telling you is that you may or may not get an actual quick ratio box.

I can vouch for this, guy at work bought one for his "84" MCSS,* it was a regular 800 series box.

Most of these mainline rebuilders take all the cores apart, separate the pieces into separate piles, and reassemble with whichever part happens to be at the top of the pile.

FWIW, my 83 Malibu wagon had the 12.7 800 series box in it from the assembly line

*While titled as an '84 with a VIN plate to match, it was born white with red interior, had the big mirrors, 86/87 gauges, 3.73 axle, and a very obvious spot where the SPID label had been peeled from the decklid. I said "tag job", but he didn't care. I didn't crawl under the dash to check the VIN rivets, but I'd bet they were wrong
I'm buying this my unit from a legit auto parts store with stated specs and warranty. If I install the unit and its not a what I was told, quick ratio, I'll return it for another.

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
I'm buying this my unit from a legit auto parts store with stated specs and warranty. If I install the unit and its not a what I was told, quick ratio, I'll return it for another.
it's not the part store itself,it's the fact that these boxes are remaunfactured in an such large numbers and there's no accountability to be had in the process.another problem is identifying them after said process too..

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
it's not the part store itself,it's the fact that these boxes are remaunfactured in an such large numbers and there's no accountability to be had in the process.another problem is identifying them after said process too..
I get it. But if a store sells a defective part, and the manufacturer won't make good, the store will typically refund the money. I have a recipe and a warranty. I'm not concerned about getting the wrong part, stuff like that happens all the time. Amazon, Home Depot, Pep Boys, etc. The big box stores usually make good. I'm more concerned that the part is quality and will last.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I'm thinking it might be worth it. I'd hate to buy a used unit just to find out it was sloppy too. These cars/parts are old, unless I can drive the car I don't know what I'm getting. Might get lucky but I don't want to waste time or chase a ghost. I just swapped a Tubro350 trans from a junk yard. 1st one didn't work, 2nd one was filled with water and case was cracked. 3rd one from a Monte Carlo works just fine. But what a pain and a waste of time. Thanks for the info. If I can find a known good box, I'll buy it. If not I'll go with a rebuild or factory new.
Thanks

Have you tried adjusting your steering gearbox? Readjusting them often removes slop. There are two steering gearbox adjustments, the thrust bearing preload and the over center torque adjustment. The steering gearbox must be removed from the car to perform these adjustments. Used steering gearboxes should also be readjusted before installation.

Low_Bridge

Apprentice
Jan 22, 2014
Backwoods
Have you tried adjusting your steering gearbox? Readjusting them often removes slop. There are two steering gearbox adjustments, the thrust bearing preload and the over center torque adjustment. The steering gearbox must be removed from the car to perform these adjustments. Used steering gearboxes should also be readjusted before installation.
So I'm updating from a 600 ~ 81 malibu

1.whether I get a ss monte carlo box or 79 ws6 trans am box or 80's z28 both are bolt ins with the 800 pitman?
2 why are ratios listed sometimes as 2.4-2.8 and not specific?

thanks

Last edited:

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
So I'm updating from a 600 ~ 81 malibu

1.whether I get a ss monte carlo box or 79 ws6 trans am box or 80's z28 both are bolt ins with the 800 pitman?
2 why are ratios listed sometimes as 2.4-2.8 and not specific?

thanks
1. Yes, but again, stock F-body stops are different and won't allow quite as tight of a turning radius for the car. So it will work just fine if you don't ever need to hard corner.
2. Not sure. But if I were to venture a WAG, I'd say so the box ratios aren't always exact on the stops, thus it gives them wiggle room to say it's "around" 2.5 turns. Last thing they need is for it to be 2.7 turns lock to lock and have you come back b*tching about it not being 2.5 as expected. Probably a hedge against A-hole customers, perhaps. JMO.

Reactions: 1 user

Low_Bridge

Apprentice
Jan 22, 2014
Backwoods
"note to self, stay away from F body boxes" thanks.... just found a local with a Z65 out of a 86-87 elcamino with sport package.....

That should get me in the 2.? turns to lock? any thing to double check when I pick it up?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor