New to Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
Hello all, new to the forum, so a little intro, I bought my first A/G body when I was 17 in 2000 (first car), 81 malibu classic 4dr, 229 v6, 200 metric transmission, nothing special but it was a virtually rust free car from Maryland, I'm 26 now, still own it, and it has gone though quite a make over since I first test drove it. The v6 blew up after only 9 months (stupid kid moves), so in went a 350 rocket along with a th350 out my 79 cutlass that I had picked up as a project car (rotted beyond my capabilities at the time). More stupid kid moves lead that engine to give up (bigger cam + heavy right foot = boom), so in went another from an 80 cutlass I had picked up for parts. That engine was tired from the get go, it didn't last too long either (2-3 months). So then in 2002 I purchased a low mile (3000 since rebuild) 350 out of a 77 cutlass, it was basically just a stock rebuild with a towing cam added to it (the guy intended it for his motor home). Currently (55,000 miles later) the car still has this engine in it, I added a few things to it, 1970 heads, alum intake, headers, msd, ect. Now the problem is keeping a transmission and rearend together. Current trans is a th350 longtail, 2100 stall, B&M transpack, and few other improvements have been made in an attempt for a longer life span. Rear end, sad to say is still a 7.5 (they last as long as I treat them nicely). After about 6 years of being in primer I finally repainted it it's factory color green, the car had a little incident involving a deer in late 2002, (it took that long to find parts worth painting).
The interior has gone through a few changes over the years, new dash board (old one was a deer hit victim), couldn't find a malibu dash in good shape the right color, so in went a very nice black dash out of a buick regal, did a little wire rerouting so everything works, even the clock. The factory bench seat was removed in favor of bucket seats from an olds acheiva (bolt up perfectly to a G-body seat track), slowly (as I find the pieces) changing the interior over to black. Other than that, it's a fairly straight forward car, mild mannered, fun to drive, good for road trips, and reliable. Haven't taken it to the track to see what it will actually do yet (fear of breaking another axle), but once I figure out which rear end to go with I'll have no excuse :twisted: . Anyway here's a pic of it's current look.
MALIBU.jpg

SLICK79WGN

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2008
LaPorte,Tx
thanks it's coming along slowly as money comes in, I to have a soft spot for these cars as my first car was a 78 4dr and I would have never got rid of it but the body was in real bad shape

chpbstrd1

Apprentice
Jan 23, 2009
Welcome

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Looks good. Hmnn relatively inexpensive 28 spline axels, a 3.08 or 3.23 gear, maybe a posi & a support cover. (www.taperformance.com) Headers a performance valve job with a lil bowl work maybe the appropriate Lunati cam n springs and she will be a lot o fun. No record breaker but tons of fun, relatively quick for a real driver, dependable, and decent mileage.

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
Thanks all....

dogshit said:
Looks good. Hmnn relatively inexpensive 28 spline axels, a 3.08 or 3.23 gear, maybe a posi & a support cover. (http://www.taperformance.com) Headers a performance valve job with a lil bowl work maybe the appropriate Lunati cam n springs and she will be a lot o fun. No record breaker but tons of fun, relatively quick for a real driver, dependable, and decent mileage.

Well, headers it has, the engine IMO really isn't worth sinking the bucks into (saving to build my 455 :twisted: ) it runs good and thats all I ask of it (yes it's a slug, haha) and I thought about upgraing the 7.5 but decided against it, with plans of the big block, I'd be better off with a 9", a 12 bolt, an 8 3/4, or maybe a 60 (haven't decided yet). Oh yea, and the car was a lot more fun with the 3.08's, until the carrier blew apart :rofl: That's why it's back to its stock 2.41 rear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor