New to the forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yah, it tells me it probably isn't numbers matching motor and probably a Vin Y motor. Hopefully that 2004R doesn't shift at 3000 rpm and super soft like my 88 did . Wow those are tall tires, how much is it off according to the GPS? Nice car, good luck on getting it the way you want it, sounds like you are already getting help from some members here.

jkuch77

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 27, 2019
Erie, PA
Not sure exactly how much the speedometer was off, haven't drove it for a month as it's in my garage with the carb off at the moment for a rebuild. Found the TPS plunger was broken or missing during the rebuild. My guess is this is an '84 vin Y engine as the transmission tag is saying it is 1984. The carb is also not the 17083553 and is a 17084254.

Can anyone tell me what is different between the 17083553 and 17084254 carb, vin Y vs. vin 9 engine, and the OG vs OZ transmission? Just wondering what, if anything I can do to make each component the vin 9 version. I was researching a bit and found the vin 9 engine had a different cam. Is the cam, dual exhaust and the dual snorkel air cleaner what gives it the extra 40 HP? I was reading that the vin Y 307 had 140 HP and the vin 9 has 180 HP. Also, I was reading that the OG trans as was mentioned shifts at 3000 rpm and the OZ shifts at 4500 rpm at WOT.

As long as the rear is still the stock 3.73, which I believe it is, I just need to replace the drive and driven gears with the correct ones and put the correct tires on and that should fix the speedometer. Per the chassis service manual the drive gear should be 11 teeth and driven gear should be 27 teeth.

Reactions: 1 users

hangar401

One Owner
Oct 3, 2019
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
Hi all! I just purchased a 1983 Hurst/Olds a couple months ago. The body is in great shape, engine is very clean, transmission seems to be fine, but it seems it is missing some things under the hood. I plan on getting everything back to stock. When I was a teenager I had a 1983 Cutlass Supreme w/ 3.8L V6. I loved that car, but being young and stupid I let me friend drive it one day and he totaled it. Ever since them I wanted to get my car back. I was searching the interwebs for a 1983 Cutlass and saw the Hust/Olds and immediately wanted it. So I drove to South Dakota to pick it up and drove it all the way back to PA. Now it is sitting in my Garage for the winter months and I'm working on starting to get it back to stock under the hold and fixing a few issues. Starting by rebuilding the carburetor as there are various issues with gasoline smell, hard cold start, bad TPS, etc. When looking at the car closer I found pretty much all vacuum lines were missing and ports on carb plugged off. Also speedometer not accurate at all, bigger tires are on it than should be, dual exhaust was taken down to single, missing converter dust shield, doesn't have the dual snorkel air cleaner and all cruise control components are missing except for the servo. May need some help from you all to get this thing back to the way it is supposed to be. I purchased a chassis service manual and electrical troubleshooting manual also to help me out identifying parts, etc. from the suggestions on here. I attached some pics.
View attachment 126986 View attachment 126987 View attachment 126988 View attachment 126989 View attachment 126990 View attachment 126991 View attachment 126992 View attachment 126993 View attachment 126994
Sweet

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The carbs are the same on the primary side. The secondaries opened all the way and had richer metering rods. The Vin 9 had a hotter cam, stiffer valve springs, dual snorkel air cleaner and dual exhaust after the cat. Factory replacement exhaust is no longer available, pathetic anyways. CK Performance sells a 442 valve body and governor, shifts are around 4800 rpm, I believe. Also the Vin 9 cars had a higher stall converter, rated at 2400 stall. Many say they stall just above 2000 behind the 307. They have the D5 designation. I would honestly go slightly hotter on the cam and run true dual exhaust at minimum. Good luck.

FastCraig

Master Mechanic
Sep 11, 2017
Huntington, WV
Welcome from West Virginia. Nice car.

Reactions: 1 user

jkuch77

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 27, 2019
Erie, PA
Hi Jason, welcome, and congrats on your new ride. It looks fantastic! When I was looking this past July, I was considering getting an 83 from a classic dealer out in SD. I wonder if it's the same car I was looking at?

I wound up finding a survivor 45 minutes from me. Vehicle post is here if interested: https://gbodyforum.com/threads/new-83-hurst-olds.74390/#post-716137

How are your T Tops?

Thanks! If it was Webster, SD it probably is the same car. I checked out your post, very nice! My T-tops are fine except for the fact that I don't have the bags :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor