New transmission and Converter installed, not right

Status
Not open for further replies.

ineil

n00b
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland
I have about 10 miles on both the new trans and converter. I messed with the TV cable many times, an just can not get it right. It will not shift properly from 1st - 2nd, and makes a chattering noise when the brake is depressed during deceleration. Any ideas?

87MonteSS

Master Mechanic
Jan 3, 2006
Winnipeg, Canada
A chattering noise could either be a faulty convertor or the first gear clutch pack has issues. Were all of the clutches and plates replaced with new?

It may also be that the first gear servo isn't supplying enough pressure to the clutch pack. A quick run with the gauges on it would expose that one.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
DON'T MESS WITH THE T.V. CABLE!!

sorry about the caps but the TV cable should not be messed with. set it up right the first time--it's real easy. all you have to do is make sure that there is no slack or play in your throttle cable (this killed me when i put my Holley in). then push the release on the side of the clip at the mounting bracket so that the cable slides in. then manually rotate the throttle to WOT. do not use the pedal for this! this will pull out the cable to it's proper adjustment. for a much better explanation of the TV system go to BowtieOverdrives.com. what screwed me up was that my pedal would go to WOT but barely and there wasn't enough room for the TV cable to adjust right. i solved both problems by bending the TV/throttle cable bracket towards the firewall--cue the screeching tires!

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
if the chattering is mostly at top gears the convertet clutch could be a problem but i would look at pressures first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor