New Valve lash question: Competing methods - The Ongoing Saga

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
I'll be that guy and say I've never had good luck running valves on an engine unless it was running. Something about the temp of the engine, oil circulation, etc that I have always pulled the valve cover while running and adjusted them that way. Also it allows me to notice cam wear/bad lifters if it doesn't adjust out.

• Useful
Reactions: 4 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I'll throw this out there: my Series 2 has an occasional lifter noise. Ironically, if I take it out and romp on it while it's cold it usually shuts it up. When I let it warm up at idle, it'll be there the whole drive.
I agree that you shouldn't have the noise on a gently used, low mileage engine. Since it was factory assembled, I'd eliminate all your peripherals before I started pulling valve covers. Identify the actual problem first. Maybe, pull the exhaust manifolds/headers and make sure you don't have a blowout there.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Using a mechanic's stethoscope might help narrow down the location of the offending noise.

Reactions: 1 users

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
Make sure your running a zinc based oil or your cam will wipe. Unless it's roller cam. The HO GM crate 350 may be a roller. How about a video? Maybe a couple pics just in case there's a woodpecker nested on your engine :whistle:

Reactions: 2 users

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings Old man; I got a agree with Jared Texas 82, "mechanic's stethoscope" will help answer the question. I'm starting to question a lifter?? One other thing ya learn adjusting the valves, ya find lifter wear sooner (OK just sometimes). Some times ya can save a cam?? As much as I Hate running & HOT, for you this may be the best method for your circumstances? And last ZDDP is your friend. Either as a additive or the more expensive oils that are blended for us hot rod guys. Good Luck Ole' Bob.

Reactions: 1 user

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
Acouple years ago l had a tick in a BBC after a rebuild, drove me crazy, l chased it for weeks. I think people thought l was crazy(might be) because know else heard it, but l could hear it from inside the car. Took it to mechanics an engine builders with no luck!

Well after swapping out the lifters, pushrods an doing the Valves afew times, still there. Finally a buddy came over and suggested l swap out the distributor as it was the original one from 73, TICK GONE. Turn out the distributor shaft had a wobble/wore.

Just a thought !

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada

Any method that gets you on the base circle works. They are all fine, I have even used this one. You are not only ON the base circle, you are in the middle of it.

For solid you need to set clearance, this will make noise. it's a sweet noise.
Hydraulic must have preload. Set for slop in the pushrod. Definate play, then slowly take up the lash then continue another 1/4 to 1/2 a turn.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor