next project-'83 Cutlass Cruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Hi Ed. Thanks for the video. Looks like quite a good collection of parts so far-congratulations. Nice find on the Olds 98 seats. Have you tried to fit those seats in your Cruiser yet? The reason why I'm asking, is that I have a similiar set of seats here that came out of a '93 Pontiac Bonneville SSEI. They're fantastic seats, but they won't work with a factory console, they're too wide. I have an '84 Monte SS, and I tried the Bonneville seat in the car, and it was too wide to fit between the factory console and the door-it wouldn't allow the door to close. Now I know that the Monte is a 2 door car, and I was trying to put a seat from a 4 door car into it, but I was curious, and wanted to see if it would fit. I also have a 4 door '81 Malibu that I'd like to fix up, and I'd like to put the Bonneville seats into that car. The Malibu currently has a bench seat in it, and I have bucket seat floor mounts for it. I'm thinking that I can use the Bonneville seats in the Malibu, but If I use a console, it will have to be a narrow console, or maybe no console at all. I'll be interested to see the seats from that 98 in your Cruiser.

Chopper

Apprentice
Feb 9, 2013
Midland, MI.
Watched the first video and looks like a nice project. Up here in the rust belt that baby is a cream puff. Most would welcome dents over rust in my territory. Luckily my junk has been in storage so long :? it isn't in bad shape especially in the quarters. Doors were junk so I have southern units. I have one more big project on my house before I can dive in with both feet. Your wagon really makes me wish I had one of those too. Good luck on the project as it looks like a nice one.

EdontheBeach

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
clean8485 said:
Hi Ed. Thanks for the video. Looks like quite a good collection of parts so far-congratulations. Nice find on the Olds 98 seats. Have you tried to fit those seats in your Cruiser yet? The reason why I'm asking, is that I have a similiar set of seats here that came out of a '93 Pontiac Bonneville SSEI. They're fantastic seats, but they won't work with a factory console, they're too wide. I have an '84 Monte SS, and I tried the Bonneville seat in the car, and it was too wide to fit between the factory console and the door-it wouldn't allow the door to close. Now I know that the Monte is a 2 door car, and I was trying to put a seat from a 4 door car into it, but I was curious, and wanted to see if it would fit. I also have a 4 door '81 Malibu that I'd like to fix up, and I'd like to put the Bonneville seats into that car. The Malibu currently has a bench seat in it, and I have bucket seat floor mounts for it. I'm thinking that I can use the Bonneville seats in the Malibu, but If I use a console, it will have to be a narrow console, or maybe no console at all. I'll be interested to see the seats from that 98 in your Cruiser.

no, i haven't tried to set them yet. i working under that old rule of 'anything can be made to fit anything', i may need to fab different mount points, who knows. the seats, at their widest point, are 22" and should work fine. my wagon didn't come with a console, so i've assumed from the outset i'll be making one. it would likely be fabbed in wood and fiberglassed over, i can then make it whatever size i need. WAY too early in this project for all that though.
i have also eyeballed the buckets from a chrysler sebring convertible; they look good too, plus the seat belt is incorporated into the seat itself. i'll just wait and see what actually makes it into the wagon.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Hey Ed.
Thanks for sharing the video of your stuff, etc. There's no mistaking that you're a bonified car guy... :lol:
It's nice to be able to find and accumulate the parts you need...great scores!
I absolutely love those 98 seats. Man, they look super comfy. That dash is a great find...need I say more.
I'll be checking in on your progress. Keep up the good work, buddy. 8)

EdontheBeach

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
well, i'm gaining on it...in a kinda, sorta way - the rear end section anyway. the grease/mud pack has been peeled off and the worlds worst undercoating job is mostly gone. 70 or maybe even 80% of the undercoating on the car slid off like peeling a tangerine, barely any effort at all. i left it on in areas where it was well applied. i'll POR-15 the frame members tomorrow.... here are some pics

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv18 ... e4e689.jpg
http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv18 ... 7ab10e.jpg
http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv18 ... 24e879.jpg
http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv18 ... f62eb2.jpg
http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv18 ... ad7c85.jpg
http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv18 ... 318544.jpg
http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv18 ... 1fe212.jpg

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Wow!! Lookin' good, Mr. Ed,

That's some nice clean sheet metal under there. Obviously not a rust belt car... :lol: Seeing that would make me feel good. My car was a northern car, and had been down here for the past...almost 23 yrs. I'm sure it's not as clean as yours underneath.. :oops: I'm ashamed to say.
But some elbow grease and perseverance should rectify that.
Thanks for the updates on your progress.

Keep up the good work, man. :wink:

EdontheBeach

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
i was pretty happy about it myself. i was worried about a rusting frame, before i bought the car i wire brushed a couple of areas and it got down to shiny metal right away - but i didn't look to any of the underbody sheet metal. there was no rust at the bottom of the doors, where they all seem to rust, so i felt pretty good about buying it. i can tell you it was a LOT of work just getting to what you are looking at!

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Ed,
I can appreciate the work that went into cleaning the underside of your car. I remember doing the underside of an old Porsche.
I scraped off all the old undercoat by hand. It was a hell of a lot of work, and it was a lot smaller than your wagon.
I'm glad to hear that the undercoat on the Cruiser came off virtually in sheets. Old undercoat is prone to harboring moisture.
You're going about it the right way stripping it down :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor