next project-'83 Cutlass Cruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kansas Bu Wagon

G-Body Guru
Jul 9, 2012
Wichita, Ks
He Ed, the battery trey will bolt in the driver side area where the charcoal canister was. There are pre drilled holes because the diesel gbodys had two battery's, one on the drivers side and one where you mentioned.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Lookin' good, Ed.
I like to see progress underway. :wink: Man, that's quite a bit of spaghetti under there. :lol: Glad to see you're devoting the time to make it right.

EdontheBeach

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
thanks fellas - I already have the 2nd battery tray (just in case) yeah the wiring was an olympic quality mess, with how it is routed now (and once the fabric wrap is on) I think it will be much more tidy and less visible. I had thought I might route it low and try to hide it completely, but at one time or another i'm sure i'll need to service it somehow. i'm really ready to get out from under it and off the creeper for a while.

EdontheBeach

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
elbow grease and sweat - clean, scrape, sand, paint = good (probably better) as new

engine, suspension...everything is off forward of the firewall. I had things to do but will have an update soon. Going to Gainesville drag strip this weekend and hope to get back on the cruiser next week

EdontheBeach

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
Indian Rocks Beach, FL

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Hi Ed,
Sorry to hear (and see) about your setback. That really sucks. Goes to show you what slobs there are out there that don't bother maintaining squat. I understand your frustration and feel for you.
What do you think you'll end up doing at this point? Tearing into it further, having the block boiled out and rebuilding it? I'd be afraid of what's in the oil pan, etc.

You've been doing everything well. I hope progress continues despite the setback.

EdontheBeach

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
oh, not to worry, progress will continue. a good friend in west palm (and guru to all us elky people here in FL) called me up and talked me off the ledge about the engine. I've had a few other things to take care of but have begun, slowly and carefully, to disassemble the engine and clean it a piece at a time. i won't be taking the heads off or the crank out but everything else is coming off. once it's cleaned i will reassemble it, put 4 quarts of trans fluid in the pan and turn the pump to get that through everything (atf has good cleaning properties), then take it back apart to clean out the dirty atf, reassemble with gaskets and pump good oil through. new seals, gaskets, etc everywhere.

yeah, i'm curious about what's in the pan myself - i'll bet it ain't gonna be pretty! scooping out the heads and lifter valley got enough crud to fill up an empty peanut butter jar! I have never seen an engine so filled with sludge.

the engine ran well with good compression before i found the sludge; i'm comfortable that a good, thorough clean out and wash down with new seals and gaskets will get it back on the road without problems.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Hey Ed,
Glad to hear that you see a light at the end of the tunnel. You did sound like you were in a bit of despair.
I'm sure you'll get it cleaned up and running back to it's former glory. Hang in there buddy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor