Next reincarnation- 5.3 turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.

87_HellCamino

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 22, 2021
Agreed on the ECM: Holley or stock with HP tuners. Stay away from FI tech.
What issues or problems have you encountered or heard of with FI Tech? The features that got me considering are self learning, the lack of having to custom build a harness, it’s set up for turbo and transmission control, and of course the price point for all in one

Reactions: 1 user

87_HellCamino

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 22, 2021
Sick seats what are they from and who did the skins
Thanks, they’re from a Mazda MX3. 91-98
They came covered like that when I found them in the U Pull yard for only $40 for the pair

Reactions: 1 users

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
Engine:
Starting with a fresh cast iron block- the future ability to have a larger max bore in the iron block vs the aluminum is worth more than the 100lb or so weight savings
9.9:1-10.4:1 compression
24x OEM crank
Diamond Racing forged pistons
PRC 220 heads
CTS-V oil pan
LS7 camshaft & lifters
Truck coils- round or triangle shape
I would just get a decent Gen 4 6.0 and call it a day. Lot's of folks getting a lot of life out of JY truck engines.

You could save yourself a couple of grand and you'd be happier with the lower rpm torque of the 6.0 vs the 5.3.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
1st question, is your 383 broke, junk or blown up? If yes, then ognore the next sentence - your 383 with boost will meet your HP needs EASILY.

Assuming the 383 is no good, Any LS with a GT45 or VS7875 will get you in the 11's at 12-15psi of boost. I'm cheap, so take all of my next comments with a grain of salt, FORGET FiTech, frget the Diamond forged pistons and rebuild. Is your current transmission a TH350 or TH400? If yes then either will work if built properly. If you want a 4L80, then that's a great option as well. A stock rebuilt 4L80 will handle 1000hp without any special parts.

Regarding engine management, if you go with a 4L80, then a Holley Term X Max is by far the cheapest program available and the bonus is that it comes with brand new harnesses, O2 sensor and can be hooked up and running in about 4 hours if you hurry. If no 4L80, then either a Holley Term X or Megasquirt. 80lb Deka injectors will get you to your goal without issue. Sloppy Stage 2 cam with Pac 1218 springs.

My best advice : don't reinvent the wheel. And a 6.0 is a better plan, but when push comes to shove, a 4.8 with 200K miles on the ticker will get you to your goal.

As Chris mentioned, there a bunch of threads here with turbo LS builds. And I agree with Fleming, HP Tuners is great if you have the time and ability to learn it.

Again, dump the FiTech plan - that system poor and the support sucks.

Reactions: 5 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Damn French Canadians, sheesh. Hopefully Google translate works lol

It came back with this:

robert de niro compliment GIF

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 6 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
1st question, is your 383 broke, junk or blown up? If yes, then ignore the next sentence - your 383 with boost will meet your HP needs EASILY.
I'm cheap, so take all of my next comments with a grain of salt, FORGET FiTech, forget the Diamond forged pistons and rebuild. Is your current transmission a TH350 or TH400? If yes then either will work if built properly.
Again, dump the FiTech plan - that system poor and the support sucks.
gives us first gen guys hope in this LS based reign of terror we live in..

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Vodka makeitadouble

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 8 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor