NO HEADLIGHTS but turn signals work

Status
Not open for further replies.

BPTTONE420012

G-Body Guru
Jan 20, 2014
FAIRFIELD COUNTY, CT
ok, heres whats going on... my turn signals work, brake lights works, reverse lights work, but no headlights, my HIGHBEAMS use to click on, but now they dont even work... i have heard of quite a few people having this problem but couldnt find out what their solution was... this is my DD and i get out of work after dark alot of days so any help would be awesome and VERY APPRECIATED.... i havent busted out my volt meter yet, but i did check the grounds, used my dremel to sand down the rad support and the ground eye hole so its deff getting good ground... any suggestions before i end up driving this thing off the side of the road... oh and its an 82 mc with the two seperate high/low lights... and yes, i know, the lights i have in there are ugly, lol

Attachments

• CAM02102.jpg
    CAM02102.jpg
    618.1 KB · Views: 587
ibeeel2 said:
It's your dimmer switch. It's located on the steering column.

the dimmer switch? isnt that also the headlight switch? cause to dim the lights you turn the headlight nob... unless theres a switch on the steering column, is it in the column?

I'd put my money on the headlite switch.
I had the same thing happen to my 442 last summer... Everything worked except the headlites, hi or lo beams.
Threw in an extra switch I had and boom, problem solved.

The dimmer switch ibeeel2 is referring to is the hi/lo beam switch.
When you pull the signal lever, it pulls a rod connected to the switch near the base of the column.

Both are pretty cheap to replace... Time to break out the test lite!

I had that problem and replaced mine and it fixed it. A way to test it is unplug the connector from the switch itself and jumper it . It has the a hot , low beam and high beam wires. You can jump the hot to turn on the low or high beam to see if the switch is bad. If it is the switch, I wouldn't recommend getting one from Autozone. It ended up burning out and had to replace it again a year later on my monte which I drive on the weekends in the summer.

Thanks guys thats what i thought it was, but i have been working 12 hour days and by the time i get home its dark out and i dont have a garage to work in so no lights... i havent had a chance to start testing anytging yet, but as soon as i do, i will post and let everyone know what it was

Ok, so i had a few minutes to mess with the lights and the ground for the passenger side headlights wasnt grounded well, old, dirty, loose bolt, so i cleaned it up really well, and sure enough my lights work... kind of... my regular headlights come on, but my highbeams are VERY dimly lighting up as well, when i click the high beams on they work fine, but when i click them off they stay VERY dimly lit... idk, wtf, is wrong with this thing, but atleast i now have headlights

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor