No hood or prop up the rear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
So due to situations I don’t have the time or money to properly fight this issue I’ve been having with vapor lock and fuel boiling hot starts and operating temp of about 220

That said I live in Florida land of hot and rain unfortunately I’m thinking based on browsing google if I were to wd40 or Vaseline my important electrical connections, as long as the carb doesn’t fill with water in between drives and I make sure the local crackheads don’t try and steal my parts I could theoretically run no hood until I figure out a different solution which will lower my temps and give me the clearance to install a carb spacer I already have and hopefully resolve all of those issues in one go.

The other thought is spacing the hood off the hood hinges in the rear and removing the rear weather seal on the cowl giving me more room for heat transfer and possibly enough room for my spacer.

I already have a drop base air cleaner from summit and I believe a 3 inch filter element I’m not sure I’d want to go with a smaller filter for clearance purposes and I’ll likely go shaker or cowl induction at some point. Plus I may need a mullet to think so but for some reason I think a goody with a carb v8 looks awesome without a hood.

bd588dd252e5a0450be5f4daf6242566.jpg

This is my set up under the hood with no spacer under the carb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
Keep the hood on,it's just another reason to get pulled over

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
You could remove the rear cowl seal and see if that helps but I wouldn't drive around without a hood for many reasons.

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
Keep the hood on,it's just another reason to get pulled over

It’s legal here in Florida provided I don’t make the cop mad

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
You could remove the rear cowl seal and see if that helps but I wouldn't drive around without a hood for many reasons.

Based upon my research the main reasons are concerns of parts being stolen, making sure water doesn’t pool in the intake for hydro lock and making sure my electrical connections stay solid is there something else I’m missing?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Based upon my research the main reasons are concerns of parts being stolen, making sure water doesn’t pool in the intake for hydro lock and making sure my electrical connections stay solid is there something else I’m missing?
As Melloelky stated you increase your odds of getting pulled over just for not having a hood and then for whatever else because of that.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
For me having an engine compartment that is not secure from weather or thieves is all the reasoning I need.

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006

Because it would just look plain stupid if nothing else. Don't do it. Use it as incentive to fix the overheat issues.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
I had an accident with my car when I was 18 and had to drive it around with no hood for a couple of months (I couldn't find a decent rust free hood at the time).

It's not all it's cracked up to be. I was constantly worried someone was going to steal something off the car or unplug some wiring. Every time there was a small cloud in the sky I was running out with a tarp to keep it covered.

I thought I was hot sh*t at the time, but looking back on it, no hood looks pretty silly when your engine fits under the stock hood.
14-14-09--14.jpeg

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor