No hood or prop up the rear

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I had an accident with my car when I was 18 and had to drive it around with no hood for a couple of months (I couldn't find a decent rust free hood at the time).

It's not all it's cracked up to be. I was constantly worried someone was going to steal something off the car or unplug some wiring. Every time there was a small cloud in the sky I was running out with a tarp to keep it covered.

I thought I was hot sh*t at the time, but looking back on it, no hood looks pretty silly when your engine fits under the stock hood.
View attachment 121447
All I saw for the first, oh, 4 minutes or so was a smokin' redhead. I didn't notice there was a car in the picture for a while let alone a missing hood...whoa a dude too! :) What the?....

• Agree
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
I had an accident with my car when I was 18 and had to drive it around with no hood for a couple of months (I couldn't find a decent rust free hood at the time).

It's not all it's cracked up to be. I was constantly worried someone was going to steal something off the car or unplug some wiring. Every time there was a small cloud in the sky I was running out with a tarp to keep it covered.

I thought I was hot sh*t at the time, but looking back on it, no hood looks pretty silly when your engine fits under the stock hood.
View attachment 121447

I get that mine isn’t going to be for looks it’s going to be to keep my engine cooler because I’m too poor to replace things to make it cooler otherwise and my carb badly needs a spacer and the hood contacts the air cleaner as it is. Once I can afford it cowl induction all the way until then may need to take the hood off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
You can put junkyard electric fans on all the time for about $20.

I thought from what I read the mechanical fa was better than electric and that it would require a new shroud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Usually the electric fans are built into a shroud; just grab a dual fan setup (with the relays!) off damn near anything and whip up some brackets. Popular donors are usually Lincoln Mark VIIIs, Chrysler LH (intrepid, Concord, LHS), 4th gen F-body, and I have mid-90s v6 Grand Am fans on my 67. Just wire them to ignition hot, and you should never have another overheating problem.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor