No more USBODY SOURCE W30 Style Hood

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
DoubleV said:
For those who don't like the overley aggressive look of the W30 style hood, but want something a bit more than ( and functional if you cut a hole in your hood ) the H/O scoop, I'd suggest the 'Darth Vader cowl induction scoop. IMO, I think it looks the best on a G-body Cutlass and costs about $375 I think. They're made from the original GM/Oldsmobile molds of the Darth Vader prototype car.

Here's a link to a post of mine on another site. The pic is in my sig; http://72.22.90.30/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=76506

Love that look!...is it functional or can it be altered to be functional?

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
It's functional in the sense that there's a hole in the hood and it sucks in air ( even though it's not sealed ), but not in the sense that it has any fancy setup that only allows air in at WOT like a factory setup would've had.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
DoubleV said:
For those who don't like the overley aggressive look of the W30 style hood, but want something a bit more than ( and functional if you cut a hole in your hood ) the H/O scoop, I'd suggest the 'Darth Vader cowl induction scoop. IMO, I think it looks the best on a G-body Cutlass and costs about $375 I think. They're made from the original GM/Oldsmobile molds of the Darth Vader prototype car.

Here's a link to a post of mine on another site. The pic is in my sig; http://72.22.90.30/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=76506

Spoke with Angelo a few weeks ago, there are only a few of those scoops left and the mold is basically toast. You can only use the mold so much...
Get them while you can, they are officially becoming discontinued after the last few are sold.
I'm picking mine up next week...

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
rhuarc32 said:
Pics as promised :) For the bolt on hood with functional air box they list it at $550. As I own my own shop I was able to get wholesale pricing, which was a decent discount, and I'm only a couple hours away so the truck freight wasn't bad either. It bolted right on, and I think looks pretty good, need to finish the body work and put the 455 in it tho.
Photo315.jpg

Why is it that VFN can design a nice 76-77 hood but majorly screw up on the 81-88 hood?
They did an awesome job on the 73-75 and 76-77 but the 81-88 looks like it belongs on a Chevy or a Rat Fink car...
http://www.vfnfiberglass.com/6880cutlass.htm

No offence but that hood looks horrible, I am truely dissapointed by their lack of research and design.
It looks out of place and too gaudy, it doesn't match the body lines of the car like the US Body hood and I'm not being bias.
What does it look like from behind, does it still have the center section raised up? Kinda looks like it.

Do the scoops have a curved profile or are they flat? The whole hood looks curved from the side...
Photo319.jpg

Lose the "chevy" style ridge in the middle of the hood, looks horrible, sand that sucker down... looks like those Chevy style cowl hoods.
VFN needs to do their homework if they want to make money... Olds guys are very particular and like to stick with originality and stay with the "Olds" style design cues... truely disappointed... :?

Needs to look more like this:
olds-cutlass-02-09.jpg

mondo1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 9, 2010
You mean like this, notice the line IS present on an original:

10otherprojects_442hood.jpg

its not a chevy line like this :

140.jpg

I think it will look much better when its all painted and the car and hood match,
The Hood Would not be able to be functional with the airbox if that slight raise was not added to the scoops,
which was a big complaint about the US Body hood, the fact that it was only for looks and did not channel air into the carb Like an original,
so that was taken into consideration when designing this hood , because you'd have a bigger problem attempting to shut the hood, I Was a Part of the design process on this hood I have owned two 67 cutlass (one hardtop, one vert) a 77 Cutlass, an 84 cutlass and presently own an 86 and am proud to have this hood for the oldsmobile community.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Look, its not a horrible hood it just doesnt complement the Gbody Cutlass that good as it should.
There are two design cues that could be addressed to button it up.
1. Smooth ou the ridge in the center
2. Lower the profile of the scoops, they look a little much for the front of the car.

Keep in mind it's not a 70-72 Cutlass, the 81-88 hood did not have the raised ridge, just a piece of boxed style chrome down the middle, same with H/O's. The ridge is too pointy and tall, doesn't look good, that's the problem, needs to be more subtle like the FE3X or what other guys have done when they deleted the center trim.

Believe me there are other guys on other forums complaining about this, it's not just me... :lol:
Cant please everyone I guess...
There is plenty of room under the hood of the US Body hood for an air box with a 455, I did the measurement's this weekend for it with cardboard templates since I gave up on VFN.
How come Angelo Valanti's FE3X Ram Air W-25 hood has an air box, no raised ridge like mine and looks awesome?
Has an air box and the design is nearly identical to the US Body Source hood.
Andrew Geeting has it now:
4942560085_large.jpg

4942560048_large.jpg

DSCN0249.jpg

I just don't buy the excuse, it's just poor engineering...
Keep in mind you don't need the massive air box, the Ram Air effect is not effective until speeds above 80mph, it's just a cold air hood if you think about it and doesn't need a huge air box.
I personally don't like the look of a raised ridge down the center the hood, looks like a chevy hood and the scoops are too tall like a gaudy 4" cowl hood... too much going on.
I glad your proud but it's not what YOU like, it's the consumer, keep that in mind.

Looks like someone just slapped Ram Air scoops on one of these:
4062-200-811COLOR.JPG

Needs to have the header panel design cue in mind, I know allot of Cutlass guys that HATE the raised ridge look in the middle, had 4 conversations a few weeks ago at Hurst Olds day about how Monte style cowl hoods on Cutlasses look horrible due to the "chevy" ridge down the middle and I've seen it talked about many times in the past on other forums... not just this thread.
See how much better this looks on a Cutlass:
21450470101_large.jpg

21450470104_large.jpg

4942560019_large.jpg

FE3X15.jpg

av4.jpg

fe3x02.jpg

IMAG0164.jpg

Picture041.jpg
hood.jpg

mondo1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 9, 2010
Lose the "chevy" style ridge in the middle of the hood, looks horrible, sand that sucker down... looks like those Chevy style cowl hoods.
VFN needs to do their homework if they want to make money... Olds guys are very particular and like to stick with originality and stay with the "Olds" style design cues... truely disappointed... :?

well I was addressing these comments above because, you first showed an image of a 71-2 hood and claimed it didnt have the slight raise down the middle, so i attached an image to show that it did, now your talking about the 81-88 version not having the raise, and displaying painted, finished cars, lets wait for his final painted pics before passing judgement i think you'll see how well it blends into the nose when done and please do not recommend he" sand that sucker down... " That is advice that would destroy his hood, Thank you

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
mondo1 said:

well I was addressing these comments above because, you first showed an image of a 71-2 hood and claimed it didnt have the slight raise down the middle, so i attached an image to show that it did, now your talking about the 81-88 version not having the raise, and displaying painted, finished cars, lets wait for his final painted pics before passing judgement i think you'll see how well it blends into the nose when done and please do not recommend he" sand that sucker down... " That is advice that would destroy his hood, Thank you

The ridge looks horrible, it's only ment for the 70-72 cars, when I posted the photo of the red hood you can't even see the ridge on that hood because of the glare, it never even came to mind that they even had them but it's clearly evident on the VFN hood.
What I was trying to show is how the scoops are subtle, the back of the scoops are even with the back of the hood and aren't high and slant down suddnely and the middle section is even with the sides in the center of the hood unlike what you have done with the VFN 81-88 hood. US Body Source figured it out and followed the lines of an 81-88 Cutlass and just didn't slap a 70-72 hood on a G-body hood and merged it with the cowl look at the back...looks like a Chevy cowl hood through the windshield. :puke:

The argument you pose about the air box not fitting is invalid and just poor engineering, US Body was able to do it as I proved last weekend with the carboard templates and a TALLER 455 and they also sold the airbox for the hood you just had to install it.
Also, GM engineering with Angelo's FE3X was able to do it as pictured above.

I'm probably speaking for about 90% of the 81-88 Oldsmobile owners, they don't want some huge monstrocity on the front of their car, I know I don't but maybe some meat head kid who know's nothing about Oldsmobiles does... maybe I'm wrong and I'm just bitching because it's not something I'd stick on my car or I am bias to the one GM Engineering built for Angelo's 1985 FE3X or my US Body Sources hood... what do I know... :?

I really don't care anymore and am not gonna post anymore on this subject, I'm actually glad because the value of mine just went up :lol:
I'll just keep my hood on my 88 CSC and install the air box and then put a custom FE3X scoop on my other 88 H/O inistead of the VFN hoods I originally wanted...

mondo1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 9, 2010
Attn:"88hurstolds"
Well, We've gone ahead and changed the design of the 81-88 version which should make everyone happy, these are pictures of the plug we made the mold from, which is why they are gray in color but the actual product will be in black and I expect to have the first one done at the end of next week, as you can see we've changed the angle of the scoops to match the angle of the header panel , and we removed the hump at the back. Thanks for your input and Your Welcome
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v714/ahkjak/8188442.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v714/ahkjak/81884422.jpg[/img]

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor