No power steering after box swap and pump rebuild - '80 Malibu

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The wheel feels slightly lighter when turning back to center from full right hand lock, but it's not violent and I confirmed the lines are hooked up to the right port, but my lines are a different configuration that what is in your pic.

with the lines reversed this is what I mean by violent.......

Reactions: 1 user

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
Those boxes not only are a quicker ratio but also are "heavy road feel". The box will feel nothing like the stock box. Does it feel different than with the engine not running? If it feels the same with no engine, then something is definitely wrong. However if it feels different, then everything should be fine.
20 years ago when I put my first Monte Carlo SS box on, I left my friends shop and was going for a one finger right turn(beer in the other hand) and almost hit the curb in the oncoming lane. The feel is similar to new cars . It's still power steering but nothing like the one finger factory set up..timo22

• Agree

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
iirc, the line fittings are two different sizes, 18mm and 16mm. i don't think you can hook them up wrong on this box.
joe

• Agree

455'ed80Regal

Master Mechanic
Nov 3, 2010
Lincoln, MO
I may be wrong, but my bet is that the pressure valve in the back of the pump is not the right one for the quicker ratio box or a combination of that and some of the vanes not being put back in right. Gotta have more pressure. When I swapped my IROC box in, I forgot to change mine and the steering was real twitchy. Swapped the valves in the stock Buick v-6 pump and all is well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor