no start - help with diagnosis

Status
Not open for further replies.

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
Yeah, I defiantly recommend an aftermarket timing set, originals suck and will leave you broken again way before it's due.

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
well I don't have ready access to a torch ..a budy was over and tried to get her loose with a 1/2" drive long breaker bar and a flywheel holder, but ofcourse he was able to torque down alot harder than the holder would grip the flywheel .... so what I was hoping to get down in a weekend (the weather is turning really ugly this week and I'm gonna hear it about occupying the garage) isn't happenning - I seem to be stuck.

JESSE

Master Mechanic
Nov 21, 2007
GULFPORT,MS
stuck

use a pneumatic chisle, the vibration will lossen the bolt...jesse

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
put a breaker bar on the balancer bolt, but position it so it wedges against the frame, then use the starter to torque the engine over and break the bolt loose.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
You can also remove the transmission inspection cover and prop a screwdriver in the flexplate teeth against the rear flange of the bellhousing, and then on the balancer use as large of a breaker bar that you can find, and if it isn't long enough, slip a piece of pipe over the end of it to make it longer. Leverage is your friend.

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
I usually throw (sacrifice) a ratchet or extension through one of the holes on the flex plate and turn it to where it wedges up against the block itself, then as Blake said use some kinda bar/pipe over your breaker bar. Usually works pretty good.

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
midwestls said:
I usually throw (sacrifice) a ratchet or extension through one of the holes on the flex plate and turn it to where it wedges up against the block itself, then as Blake said use some kinda bar/pipe over your breaker bar. Usually works pretty good.

I had pretty much came up with this same idea ... I take it you have done this before? I am just a tad worried about cracking the flywheel. I got a bunch of cheap Harbor Freight pry bars and the round bar came to mind ... I can't imagine that thing bending. Also I have, one of those hand impact tools (that you strike with a hammer) ... think that could possible do what the pneumatic can't? I have the cover off of the flywheel already but if my flywheel holder wouldn't stay in place (kept popping off of the flywheel teeth) I'd be really leary of trying a screwdriver.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
It's pretty much standard practice. I have done it many times with no real issues.

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
It's pretty much standard practice. I have done it many times with no real issues.

Good that is what I like to hear ... Already had a few setbacks on this endevour ... I was hoping to get it all done within this weekend but that didn't happen ... diabetes/blood pressure is really telling me I am nowhere near as healthy as I was. (almost passed out while under the car) ... so I only worked on it for about half the time I had set aside today. Still new at this and I forget to eat on a regular schedule.

soba_03

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 28, 2008
Louisville Kentucky
Harmonic balancer bolt

Dr,

I'm going to assume a couple of things, First if it's an automatic and you still have the Flexplate connected to the trans and the trans is still in the car. If it's in park it shouldn't roll over when you try and remove the Harmonic balalncer bolt. Same with a manual if it's in gear.

If it's already disconnected from the trans, then a screwdriver wedged against the block will work without causing problems. Once you get the bolt off rent borrow or buy the right puller for the balancer or you might pull it apart trying to use the wrong puller. I used a 1/2" breaker bar and a cheater pipe. It finally came loose. Good luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor