no start - help with diagnosis

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
OK, here's the skinny.
Fired my car up to go to work on Friday. I was bitter cold (maybe 18 degrees). She fired up and was running. She's had some cold weather issues, so I had her tach'd up to over 2000 rpm. I wouldn't use the word "stall" as she didn't falter, stumble or even hiccup. Was like I turned the key back "off" and she died. Well that is the last time I've managed to get it to fire up. Battery doesn't seem to be an issue as lights are all bright. Not the starter ... engine spins easily. No funny noises at the time it died and none now. The car has never once backfired. I assumed the coil or something distributor related must have failed. Since, I've owned it all I ahve done is replaced (ignitionwise) are the plugs. Decided a new coil, ignition module, cap and rotor may address the problem (certainly can not hurt right?). Well, I buttonned it all up and nothings changed. Gimmie some ideas. I can tell you everything that should be hot is, but I can not find my volt meter to tell ya it'sa full 12 volts.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
A good place to start is to see if you have spark and fuel.

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
dan2286 said:

fuel no doubt - I've flooded her a few times. sorry. Lack of spark is where I am concentrating. Tommorrow Imma bite the bullet and pull the number 1 plug and see if it's firing and if it's blue. Rubber glove time!

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
DrRansom442 said:
dan2286 said:

fuel no doubt - I've flooded her a few times. sorry. Lack of spark is where I am concentrating. Tommorrow Imma bite the bullet and pull the number 1 plug and see if it's firing and if it's blue. Rubber glove time!

They sell spark testers at auto parts stores. They can measure the intensity of the spark, and are much safer.

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
what motor/ignition system do you have? Is it stock yet?

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
midwestls said:
what motor/ignition system do you have? Is it stock yet?

car in signature. 81 Olds Calais, 260 cid ... engine is all stock

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I would make sure you have 12 volts at the pink wire to the distributor before going any further. If not, it likely is the ignition switch. Sometimes they will just go like that with no warning.

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
good news is I now know the problem ...

bad news is it's going to be a big job (for the car to be sitting outside on gravel in the cold). maybe I can beg some friends with garages to let me tow it there.

I double checked the power to the distributor and it was fine ... so I pulled the cap off and turned the key ... rotor aint spinning. Damned timing chain must have come off completely. Why there was (or is) no racket is amazing and how it just failed with no warning is completely new to me, but the dist shaft is tight so it's not cam gear ... which leaves just one thing. Great just great.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
That sucks. Just to make sure pull off a valve cover so you can verify the chain is broke.

Just to let you know, I had to re set the valve timing on mine on a gravel driveway and it wasnt that bad. Actually, all work I do on the car is on a gravel driveway since I cant move it because of no front suspension. I somehow managed to get my drivers side header in when it was 30 degrees outside 8).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor