Non a/c box swap ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
So i just bought a non a/c box from a 78-81 El Camino. From what i see its missing the controls, vents, and top screen. Can i use this box on my Grand Prix and what parts are really needed? I have looked for these in the junkyards with no luck. It does have the wiring, fan, and heater core. I need any help as to whats needed and how to do this swap. My car did come with a/c but i made a block off plate. I need to know how to hookup the vacuum lines and wiring and any other components.Thanks in advance..Please tell me i can use this as i already bought it and don't want to think i wasted my $$ ANYBODY??

Thanks Blake442, looking forward to any info you can give me. I have looked all over the web and haven't found much info.

Looking forward to this also, i heard that to do the a/c delete box that
the duct work under the dash etc had to also changed. But ill wait til ur responce lol

Blake442 said:
Well, as luck would have it I'm out of time again and have to run off to job #2...
I'll take care of it tomorrow nite.
LOL its all good i know what its like to have a crapload of things/jobs to do.

These swaps are pretty straight forward, but I'll start by saying to anybody that is thinking of switching from a/c to a non-a/c set up, you're much better off if you can get a complete set up. Piecing together these hard to find parts is a major pain.

Well, for starters, there are a few parts you'll need to get. You'll need the non-a/c specific air ducts, there are two pieces, an upper and a lower. You'll also need the vent controls that mount beneath the steering column. The heater controls, cowl screen, and glove box liner are all different as well.

To start things off, you'll need to remove your dash completely, it's the only way to remove the old air ducts. Since you've already removed your a/c box, you'll just need to remove your block off plate. Also take the lower windshield trim off and the two brackets for it that bolt to the firewall. Once all the old a/c stuff is out, you can begin to install the non a/c parts. The heater box will go in first, and make sure the mounting surface is nice and clean, and to seal it up well along the firewall to prevent any leaks. The cowl screen shares a bolt with the box, so don't let that slip you up.

With that in place, you can now put in the upper and lower air ducts, and reinstall the dash support bracket that mounts on top them. Now you can lay the vent controls on the floor and hook them up to the proper doors. The non a/c temp and air selector controls are both cable actuated, unlike the vacuum controls on the a/c cars. Hook up both of them now, and let the controls sit on the trans tunnel. Also now is the best time to hook up all your wiring, and make sure everything works.

Now that everything is where it needs to be, it's time to put the dash back in. Carefully reposition the dash back into place, and as you are, work slowly to position the cables so they will tuck away without binding. Make sure to test them frequently so that they will work smoothly once everything is bolted in place. Finish the rest of putting your dash back together and check again to make sure everything works. I haven't had the pleasure of taking out any Pontiac g-body dashes, just Olds and Chevy ones, so I can't offer any Poncho-specific insight.

The vent control cables that mount under the column may be trickey. Each brand had a different piece to attach to each brand's dash. Finding a pontiac specific one may prove to be difficult, so you may have to adapt another set of cables to your existing lower dash piece. I did this on my 442 since I used a complete set up out of my elky I parted out. I ended up simply unbolting the air duct from behind the piece, and using a two part epoxy and a few stategically placed strips of plumbers tape to secure the vent controls to my original lower dash piece. 3 years since I did it and it still holds strong. This is where making sure the cables operate smoothly comes in handy, as any drag on them will mean extra pressure on this spot, and may cause it to come unglued.

The last piece of the puzzle is the glove box liner. You can either find an original non-a/c liner, or cut down your original one. I've done both of these. Swapping the liner is just a matter of a couple small bolts and removing the lock cylinder/latch assembly. If you can't/don't care to find a correct piece, you can cut yours down with some trial and error till it fits. I had to section mine quite a bit, and then I just screwed it back together from the inside, and cut the ends off the screws that were sticking through, and then wrapped all the seams with nice heavy tape. Looks kinda ghetto-rigged, but it's impossible to tell when it's closed. :lol:

I hope that helps, post up any more questions you have about the swap.

I also happen to have an extra set of heater controls laying around that'd I'd be willing to part with...

Thanks for the info!! I just got back from the junkyard and found another box in a 88 Cutlass and i got the disassembling portion of it. This time i got the box, ducts, and controls.. Only things i didn't get were the glove box,fan and core seeing as i have those already, but i will go Monday and pick up the glove box. As for the under dash vent controls, do you have a pic of the fabrication you did? Another question is does the hood cowl seal from my a/c box fit the non a/c box? Thanks again i appreciate it.

I'll try and remember to snap a picture of the cables for you.

You might as well take the fan and heater core, as it never hurts to have extras, and both of those are non a/c specific.

The cowl screen is different, you'll need that as well.
It's actually two pieces, there's the cover for the heater core, and then the screen. Both pieces make up the rest of the lip that the cowl seal attaches to. The original cowl seal can be re-used, but I believe I had to shorten mine an inch or two.

P.S. When you go back, grab the trim around the headlight switch and the vents above the glove box, they're non a/c specific and I know somebody on the forum here who needs them.

Damn there is alot of specific parts for this swap....lol i will try to go and get those parts on Monday. As for the extra motor and core are they available at the parts store? reason i ask is cuz the guy wanted 25 for the core and 30 for the motor on top of the heater system.The guy kind of a likes to tax the crap out of things :shock:
How "rare" is the non a/c option? seeing as i have only came across 2 since i've started actually looking. BTW i might have a box for sale soon minus the motor, core, and ducwork.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor