Non a/c box swap ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't asked at the parts store, I should try one of these days if I remember. The blower motors are interchangeable, but the difference lies in the depth of the squirrel cage, and the housing has a hole in the side for the vent tube on a/c cars.

As for how rare it is, I'm not exactly sure. But I'd venture to guess that as few as, if not fewer than 5% were built with a/c delete. Also, it seems that out the cars that had it, more were chevy's than the other brands. They're also a tad more common in the northern states and Canada than they are in the southern areas. At the junkyard I frequent with about 75 Cutlass's, only 2 of them are a/c delete cars(I checked every one), and unfortunately both of them have cars on top of them, preventing me from getting under the hoods... :x

Guys no offence as I am just trying to understand. Unless you are building a competition car with competition engine and suspension for whatever kind of raceing you want to do why would you want to remove the AC? I know their is a fair amount of people who do this I just never understood why or what the attraction was. I know you drop off a little weight and clean out the engine bay some. Seems like their is better ways and places to drop off weight and more of it then deleting a desireable creature comfort on a street car. Also doesnt it kind of shoot the resaleability as least as far as a street car? Again I am not knocking your decision as what to do with your car, just trying to get a handle on something that has always perplexed me.

Definately understand where you're coming from Vern, a/c is a nice feature when it works.
The reason I've swapped it into both my 442 and wagon is that the a/c systems were both incomplete and non-functional when I got the cars. Rather than spend an excessive amount of money on something I never use, I just got rid of it in the cleanest way possible, using factory parts. No more dicking around with broken or leaking vacuum lines, no extra mess of wires, and about 50 lbs of crap off the front of the car.
I never really drive the 442 without the t-tops off anyways, so what's the point of a/c when I won't use it? Resale is not a concern. And you'd be suprised at how well the fresh air vents cool down the car. Heat is also a necessity in these parts, as nights get cool, and I'm a wuss.
Long story short, it's a simpler, lighter set up, not to mention I enjoy the novelty of it not being on every other car. It sure is a lot better than one of those flat block off plates and no ventilation.

I agree with Blake442 on that too, seeing as my a/c box was completly melted from the bottom due to the headers. Also all my a/c components were trashed and or missing. I might get a complete a/c system later when i decide to do a frame off restoration.....eventually. But as seeing a i can't drive my car anywhere when it gets cold or even raining without my windows fogging up or freezing my *ss off.This is my next best option for now.Its just crazy on how you don't run into them often...

I've been looking high and low, and can't find how to remove the lower heater box. The top comes off easily, and I've unbolted the lower from the firewall, and removed the linkage to the ac/heater flapper valve, but there's still something holding it in!

The whole box moves up and down a couple inches, but I'm not sure if there's something inside that needs to be removed? I don't want to mess anything up, just want to take it out, so I can fix my headers in, then modify as needed.

thanks in advance!

to get the main housing in from the fire wall i didnt have to remove the dash .....to install ducks you have to

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor