Non AC vent control help

JPetro

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 28, 2020
Hello, unfortunately a lot of the threads that cover this question have photos that are no longer hosted.

Can someone please help me identify which gbody had this type of vent control? I'm adding a heat only box to my Cutlass and need to get a lower dash trim and I can only find trim that the pulls connect to the molded trim piece, nothing that looks like it would fit this style. Thank you.
1000000947.jpg

Here's what I could find, it might not help much but it looks like it may be part of the ASHTRAY bracket under the RADIO/HVAC control pod?

Looks like #75 and #74 in the pic below are the LH/RH cables for the VENT control. If you look at #61, it could be that mounting point for the two side screws, but that might just be the ALDL (OBD-1) connector, not really sure.

I've never personally seen one with that option (or lack thereof) to know if the one you have differs in trim/mounting between MC/Cutlass/GP or Regal with same configuration. I can't imagine it would be easy to access below ashtray in a console equipped car.

That's something you don't see or hear about that often....curious to hear what others know and have seen.

1722099362700.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Here's what I could find, it might not help much but it looks like it may be part of the ASHTRAY bracket under the RADIO/HVAC control pod?

Looks like #75 and #74 un the pic below are the LH/RH cables for the VENT control. If you look at #61, it could be that mounting point for the two side screws, but that might just be the ALDL (OBD-1) connector, not really sure.

I've never personally seen one with that option (or lack thereof) to know if the one you have differs in trim/mounting between MC/Cutlass/GP or Regal with same configuration. I can't imagine it would be easy to access below ashtray in a console equipped car.

That's something you don't see or hear about that often....curious to hear what others know and have seem.

View attachment 243155
Ahhh thank you. Yeah my cutlass has a console. You gave a lot of help, I was fixated on the under column trim when it's most likely under radio location for this style

I think I found something, give a few more minutes to research...it appears the LEFT RIGHT cables for OLDS would be part of the lower steering column closeout trim panel. Without AC, it wouldn't use the "crotch vent" those of us with AC all know and love!! :)

1722100766501.png

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, there's a callout for that steering column filler panel for with EXCEPT A/C, but I highly doubt you'll find one for the non AC version like I said I've personally never seen one, but you never know. You'd find tons of the more popular AC "crotch vent" style ones I'm sure.

There's some pretty resourceful members here that might have one kicking around, or know where you can find one. Otherwise, you can probably make a replacement (or 3d print??) a panel to go in that same place as the AC vent/duct for them. Looks like it's just a flat panel with some slide clips to hold cables in from behind?

Hope this helps, here's the part numbers in case you ever need.

1722101269656.png

It almost looks like the one you have would fit right in place of that crotch vent style column trim filler with the screws right in the same location from the back? I think on Olds, there is a different faceplate with the separate clipped in cables, where the Monte's looks like the two cables are all molded together with faceplate.

Try it and see, just two screws on back of that trim piece? Even if you have to trim it or modify a little to fit?

It almost looks like the one you have would fit right in place of that crotch vent style column trim filler with the screws right in the same location from the back? I think on Olds, there is a different faceplate with the separate clipped in cables, where the Monte's looks like the two cables are all molded together with faceplate.

Try it and see, just two screws on back of that trim piece? Even if you have to trim it or modify a little to fit?
The bracket is much wider than the hole in the trim when you remove the crotch vent. I'm going to bid on an Oldsmobile dash piece with the wire still attached and swap it out. Thank you again

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor