What did you do to your non-G Body project today [2024 edition]

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
anything I find and post, do not take for granted. I call it food for thought and reflection.
it is the Internet after all, and that post is 23 yrs old, so I'm sure things have changed!
Maybe, and maybe not, simply because the generation of transmissions has changed. What works for a TH350/400 or a 700R4 or, for that matter, an AOD Ford or a 727 Mpoar Box is not what typically would now get dumped into a 4L60/80E or whatever is behind your favorite mill.
So, while cheerfully acknowledging the age of the reference data, I don't personally don't think the applications for which it was intended have changed either. Superceded? Certainly. But the transmission is 39 years old, even if it came to me as a rebuild, so the argument for the proper ATF for that variant of T-box is still relevant and so would be the recommendations which you kindly reposted for us fossil types; I like my Bronto-Burger medium welldone please.......hold the plantains.

Nick

Reactions: 1 user

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
Over the weekend ended up with a flat on the van, turns out it is a crack in the wheel when I thought I would be plugging the tire. So gonna give JB Weld a shot to get me through for a bit since there are winter tires on it that I want to burn off before getting tires put back on the other wheels I have for it
View attachment 241802 View attachment 241803

You mean a pothole ridden western pa road might have contributed to a cracked rim?

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Get them penndot boys to take better care of the roads pagrunt

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
You mean a pothole ridden western pa road might have contributed to a cracked rim?

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Out of my county, out of my district. Anyways I'm too busy painting recently painted lines from white & yellow to black to seal cracks.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
Maybe, and maybe not, simply because the generation of transmissions has changed. What works for a TH350/400 or a 700R4 or, for that matter, an AOD Ford or a 727 Mpoar Box is not what typically would now get dumped into a 4L60/80E or whatever is behind your favorite mill.
So, while cheerfully acknowledging the age of the reference data, I don't personally don't think the applications for which it was intended have changed either. Superceded? Certainly. But the transmission is 39 years old, even if it came to me as a rebuild, so the argument for the proper ATF for that variant of T-box is still relevant and so would be the recommendations which you kindly reposted for us fossil types; I like my Bronto-Burger medium welldone please.......hold the plantains.

Nick
ok Mr Flintstone!

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Worst part is it was a repair that was done nowhere near good enough, had the tar in it so looked OK from a distance. But once you hit it, you felt it

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Headed back out to the shop this PM to finish a few items on the rad cradle list for the van. Gave the attachment bolts for the crossmember a little Never Seize dollop to help them slide into place and keep them happy and free from rust. The crossmember slid nicely into place with no mechanical encouragement and this time I set the bolts from front to back meaning that the nuts to secure them now face the back of the van, not the front. Should anything ever go totally sideways and they manage to escape, the bolts still ought to stay as placed, instead of trying to screw themselves out.

Also decided that the capscrew for the urethane transmission to c-member was a few threads short of what it ought to have been and dug a longer one out of the bolt bins. Turns out they are a 7/16ths coarse which baffled me for a skinny minute because somehow I had come to believe that that bolt was metric. Turns out Grade 8's are, by default, SAE fractional.

Finally refilled the pan after making sure the drain plug was tight. Manual for that t-unit says 4.7litres or 10 pints??? Gallon bottle read 5 litres so carefully poured in about 90% of the bottle and stopped there. Will do a dipstick check on the fluid level once I get it back on the ground but have to be careful because it is raked and full at one end is not necessarilyt full at the other.

Also managed to rehang the one horn assembly without having to remove the grille. Between than and now the screws for the passenger's headligh bezel have gone awol so more searching as they are a Torx screw and like to hide.

Did another round of sanding on that duct side panel and shot it again. Hopefully this is the last coat of black and I can get on with the clear sealer shot so I can finally rivet it all back together and move on.

Nick

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor