Non Chrome Bumper for a Cutlass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rIbBaD

Greasemonkey
Apr 10, 2010
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
I have chrome front and rear bumpers and was wondering where I can get ones that are chrome? Like the ones on the 83-84 Hurst olds?
Thanks

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
just get them bead/sand blasted, paint em yourself or even get them powdercoated. unless the chrome is real nice on them...

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
rIbBaD said:
I have chrome front and rear bumpers and was wondering where I can get ones that are chrome?

:? You've already got 'em! :lol:

The '83-'84 Hurst/Olds and '85-'87 442's were the only ones that came from the factory with painted bumpers.

You're not going to find anything as far as new pieces go, so you'll end up having to find used bumpers from one of the hard to find cars above, or just use your existing bumpers.

Paint doesn't like to stick to chrome.
Have the chrome on yours stripped at a chrome shop or sand-blasted so that the paint has something to adhere to.

rIbBaD

Greasemonkey
Apr 10, 2010
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Oops Type :)
And any idea how much it would cost on average to have the chrome stripped for both front and rear?

Lightluss

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 28, 2010
glasstek sells front and rear replacement bumbpers in fiberglass. im not sure if they are for street use, but im going to buy them and put them on my cutlass that will be on the street sometimes. their about $170 a pop, and they are made from an exact mold of the original chrome ones.

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Blake442 said:
The '83-'84 Hurst/Olds and '85-'87 442's were the only ones that came from the factory with painted bumpers.

Not completely true, I had a 81 Cutlass diesel with factory painted bumpers. That may have been the only year to be able to get painted bumpers other than the H/O and 442's.

86-blk442

G-Body Guru
Dec 2, 2008
West Seneca, New York
Lightluss said:
glasstek sells front and rear replacement bumbpers in fiberglass. im not sure if they are for street use, but im going to buy them and put them on my cutlass that will be on the street sometimes. their about $170 a pop, and they are made from an exact mold of the original chrome ones.

I was just looking at those on their site also, if and when you get them can you put up some pictures? I am really interested in getting rid of my chrome bumpers because they are not supposed to be on my 442 someone changed them :cry: haha

Car Junkie

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 3, 2009
Wakefield, Massachusetts
I think I still have a front bumper for an 84 H/O kicking around if someone is interested.

MrHernandez

G-Body Guru
May 25, 2009
Jackson,TN
81Regal said:
Blake442 said:

Not completely true, I had a 81 Cutlass diesel with factory painted bumpers. That may have been the only year to be able to get painted bumpers other than the H/O and 442's.
My '81 also has painted bumpers, non diesel car, 6 cyl.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
MrHernandez said:
81Regal said:
Blake442 said:

My '81 also has painted bumpers, non diesel car, 6 cyl.

Got a build sheet to share?... VT5 is the RPO code for the color-keyed bumpers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor