Non Chrome Bumper for a Cutlass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rydeer

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 2, 2010
The chrome is very hard. yes I used 80 grit. It doesn't cut as deep as it would into paint. My bumpers were not in the best of condition. I touched up in places with finer. (places that I went through the chrome and nickel and copper to the steel) I then used a finer grit. Mostly I left the 80 and have no scratch marks.

DETROITBOY27

Apprentice
Apr 3, 2008
houston tx
86-blk442 said:
That is very true, I never really thought about doing that. Ive never actually made a mold for fiberglass however. So I would need some insight on that. I think i may take a stab at it, I do have a spare set of bumpers laying around that I could use to make the pieces.

check out fiberglast.com, it is library on composites. To make a mold all you would do is
1 clean the part, then wipe it down with acetone or mineral spirits
2. wax the part with special mold release wax, then buff- repeat 6 or 7 times
3. lay 2 layers fiberglass on part and let dry
4. reinforce outside of mold with some type of material, tubing, wood etc, and cover with fiberglass at least 2 to 3 layers.
5. after the mold is dry gently pull it from your bumper.
6. check your mold for any imperfections

86-blk442

G-Body Guru
Dec 2, 2008
West Seneca, New York
Thanks for the info. I'm going to read up on it and make a decision on painting them or making a mold for some fiberglass pieces. I still dont get why my 442 is missing both painted bumpers, maybe it was wrecked pretty good at one time....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor