Non Chrome Bumper for a Cutlass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrHernandez

G-Body Guru
May 25, 2009
Jackson,TN
unfortunately my car came with no paperwork and there is nothing on the trunk lid, didnt do that till after '81

Lightluss

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 28, 2010
yeah, ill def. post pictures if i get them, just have tod ecide if i want to drop over $300 on bumpers.

86-blk442

G-Body Guru
Dec 2, 2008
West Seneca, New York
I am thinking that I might just do it if I can find out if the fiberglass piece bolts up to the bumper reinforcement underneath or if I can make it work with them. I know the chrome shells will come off its just getting the new pieces onto the bar. But being a body guy I could probably make something happen.

DETROITBOY27

Apprentice
Apr 3, 2008
houston tx
86-blk442 said:
I am thinking that I might just do it if I can find out if the fiberglass piece bolts up to the bumper reinforcement underneath or if I can make it work with them. I know the chrome shells will come off its just getting the new pieces onto the bar. But being a body guy I could probably make something happen.

Why don't you just make your own molds, then lay some fiberglass. they are only bumpers, it is not that complex of a part.

youngdeezy

G-Body Guru
Jan 4, 2007
cali
86-blk442 said:
DETROITBOY27 said:
86-blk442 said:

if your a body man you should already be on this. im not a body man and bet i can figure it out so for you it should be simple.

Why don't you just make your own molds, then lay some fiberglass. they are only bumpers, it is not that complex of a part.

x2 on that

86-blk442

G-Body Guru
Dec 2, 2008
West Seneca, New York
That is very true, I never really thought about doing that. Ive never actually made a mold for fiberglass however. So I would need some insight on that. I think i may take a stab at it, I do have a spare set of bumpers laying around that I could use to make the pieces.

rydeer

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 2, 2010
I'll put up pics under the bessy name tomorrow. I just sanded with 80 grit, painted with self etch and sprayed flat black. You could go with any color that you want. It's really not that hard. you could also get them powder coated, powder loves chrome!!

HurstOlds

Master Mechanic
Sep 21, 2007
Illinois
My 83 v6 car has color matched bumpers. Not sure if the car had these bumpers stock or not, I'll try to check the trunk to see if I have the code sheet in there and I'll let you know. Car is in my sig....

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
HurstOlds said:
My 83 v6 car has color matched bumpers. Not sure if the car had these bumpers stock or not, I'll try to check the trunk to see if I have the code sheet in there and I'll let you know. Car is in my sig....

RPO labels in the trunk started in '84... so you won't have one.
I'm sure yours were just painted when the previous owner re-did the car.

I still refuse to believe that cars other than the H/O's and 442's came with painted bumpers.
I need physical evidence like a build sheet or RPO label to make a believer out of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor