noob with lots a' questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
JUST ANOTHER PROUD G-BODY OWNER!!!!

got my first car, an '83 cutlass supreme brougham, last summer from a neighbor up the road for $500! unfortunately the colors are brown, brown, and brown. wondering what color to paint. any suggedtions?

also wondering if i should take my vinyl of or not. nothing is wrong with it, i just think it would look better with no vinyl. is it worth the time? how much does it cost?

also want to know how to lower the rear end some. i'm probably going to cut some coils in the fornt, but i hear guys talking about moog lowering springs. which ones give you the most drop in the rear? any cheap lowering methods for the rear?

i also have some exhaust issues i have a big leak where the cat and pipe meet, and there is a patch on the pipe somewhere else. i figured while i'm at it, id get a dual outlet muffler, or some cheaper way to get two pipes straight back under the bumper. can't afford true duals. i looked at the flowmaster 80 series. is that a good muffler? anything better or less expensive. it has a 3.8L v6 by the way.

i love my 1st car and want to make it better!! help!!

v8power

G-Body Guru
Aug 24, 2007
green bay WI
well if you do not have money for true duals, then you probably do not have enough money to paint it. as for mufflers i would just get a turbo muffler from fleet farm. they sound better on the v 6 than a flow master would.

SBCregal

Master Mechanic
Jan 22, 2006
i'll second what v8power says, no money for exhaust... you wont be doin the paint/body any time soon

i was gonna pull off my vinyl roof, but it grew on me and now i like it, gonna help with the sleeper look

as for springs, i went with the moog 5660 springs in the front, and the g body cargo coils in the rear. those springs coupled with 255/60/15 tires out back and 235/60/15 tires up front and its got a pretty nice stance. not lowrider style, but i think it looks just right

just my .02

Furtrader

Master Mechanic
Jan 5, 2006
Ottawa,Ontario,Canada
What's wrong with brown?
I have a dark brown interior in mine.As far as I know,brown was only available for two years.So if you want a distinctive,different Cutlass,stick with the brown interior.
If you change the interior to another colour,I want dibs on the brown pieces
8)

beeterolds

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2007
Cleveland ohio 44131
if you cant afford to make it better with exhaust or paint..take what little money you have and keep it maintained... new plugs and wires... air cleaner...oil change... ya kno maintenance stuff... keep it safe and drivable first without sinking big bucks into it..like me :D my 83 cutlass was my first car too... 6yrs later :roll:

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
thanks for all the advice guys!

i'm not going to cahnge the interior color, i'm just wondering which color to paint the car, and what would look good with the brown vinyl roof, i was thinking maybe gold or a cream color.

Furtrader- i love the color combo on your cutlass, but i can't really do that with mine since i have the vinyl roof, thats why i'm wondering weyther i should remove it or not.

just getting ideas as of right now because i spent most of my $ on maintenance already. :roll:

v8power

G-Body Guru
Aug 24, 2007
green bay WI
well do not pull the vinyl top off until you are ready to paint. otherwise it will look even worse. as far as colors. you could do a really dark green, or a butternut yellow. but i would not worry about this yet. save up money and do the v8 swap, sbc or olds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor