NOS GM 86-88 Tail Light Emblems from GBP

Status
Not open for further replies.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
Here is a comparison of the "NOS 86-88 Tail Light Emblems" GBP is selling compared to an actual GM emblem for anyone interested in buying one.
I know they are currently working on getting reproductions from China and I was told they are having quality issues but have just released a large inventory of "NOS GM" emblems.
I have only seen 3 NOS emblems sell in the past 10 years on eBay, they are very rare.

Paint work, this is the best of the few NOS GM emblems I received, the others are actually missing paint to give it a faded look like a used one, they are pictured subsequent.
I know GM has quality issues with NOS parts, they aren't perfect.

Emblem #2

Emblem #3

GM PN font is different, emblem metal is of a different finish and texture as well:

Thickness is thinner compared to the used GM original, .110 vs .125:

Bevels are rounded over, the used GM original emblem are crisp:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
It's the same as with most other repop parts. Never as good or correct as the original, but certainly good enough when the original has long since gone unobtainium.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
It's the same as with most other repop parts. Never as good or correct as the original, but certainly good enough when the original has long since gone unobtainium.

I think your missing something here...
These are NOT reproductions but being sold as NOS GM ORIGINALS.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Whhhuaaat? Those are SUPPOSED to be NOS GM emblems? Those look like total dogsh!t. I wouldn't let that Chinesium part near my car.

Thanks for finding out the discrepancies, props to 88hurstolds.

Either GBP is retarded, or whoever buys their parts needs some serious QC training to tell the difference and was stupid enough to get duped.

Problem is, there's too many people out there that would believe the lie and buy this junk.

The entire emblem is second-rate. Better than nothing? Maybe. NOS? I seriously, seriously doubt it. Unless someone shows me some downright proof, I'm not believing it.

Brother's Automotive got hold of some unpainted NOS 69-75,79 H/O emblems years ago and I called BS on them being wrong because of the font being slightly different and the "O" bridge piece was straight and not scalloped like original.. WELL, I had to retract that when I came across some NOS GM emblems for a 79 in my own stash still in the sealed baggie that had the "new" font. Apparently what has happened was that the mold A Little Different had (and tried to sell on ebay recently and in the past) was used to make new emblems for GM at some point. Thus, I had no choice but to support the "NOS" designator that Brothers Automotive was touting. But there was indisputable facts to support the claim. Here? I haven't seen any yet. In fact, the facts point to quite the opposite. I couldn't see GM accepting parts this crappy looking.

Sometimes, nothing might be better. I'd rather sport faded than any of these crappy examples of so-called "NOS" parts.

Edit: This is not to begrudge GBP because I give them an A for effort. They have done a lot to provide replacement parts to the G-body community where others have passed on the opportunity. However, I truly hope they're not truly believing that these emblems are of any good quality. If you're going to provide GM parts, they need to be GM parts. Or if you do the replacement, then by all means make it a QUALITY replacement. I don't believe these taillight emblems to be either.

I'd be curious to see what response GBP might have for this. Should be interesting.

Here's a pic of a survivor, original 87 taillight.

86-88taillightrocket.jpg

Last edited:

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Oh, and here's ANOTHER thing that makes me suspect. On most, if not all, their other "genuine GM" parts on the website- the ones you can still get through GM- cost much more. For example, a GM Performance Part emblem, p/n 25927029 from GM retails for $22.14 (list price). GBP's price? $35.00.

So it doesn't make any sense to me that these rare and unobtanium parts would be sold for only $19.95 each. If they were truly genuine GM parts, they'd be worth a whole lot more, and people would pay more to get such a rare part. Probably $35 each or more for something so rare and desirable. So the price point alone makes me think they're repops that were poorly done. I got a feeling they're probably the quality check prototypes that China sent back for "approvals" which obviously didn't make the cut.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I think your missing something here...
These are NOT reproductions but being sold as NOS GM ORIGINALS.
I'm not missing anything. These are clearly reproductions of the originals, and not NOS pieces. Anyone that can't see that is a fool. I'm not contesting you, on the contrary, I'm in agreement. These are reproductions, and should be labeled and sold as such. IMO, shame on ANY seller that tries to sell them as anything but.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
I was under the impression that you missed the ad description and thought they were reproductions:

The response I received back when I stated that they looked like sh*t and that I was again overcharged on shipping by $10 and not refunded as their website stated was the fact that they are the end of a GM run and it's typical for GM parts to look like crap. I never received the shipping refund...

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I was under the impression that you missed the ad description and thought they were reproductions:

The response I received back when I stated that they looked like sh*t and that I was again overcharged on shipping by $10 and not refunded as their website stated was the fact that they are the end of a GM run and it's typical for GM parts to look like crap. I never received the shipping refund...

Wow. That's pretty poor business practice IMO. Good to know in case I need to deal with them in the future. And as far as looking like sh*t because they were at the end of a production run, I don't buy that either. Sounds like excuses for inferior product to me.
Hopefully they'll step up and correct the situation for you. Good luck.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Which brings up another point...why does it look like the outer perimeter is black on the web ad, yet the pictures shown in this thread look like the perimeter color is medium dark gray??? Meh, as a buyer, make up your own mind on this one based on the evidence provided. I already have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor