Not all G Body frames are the same

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I think he got what he wanted and now he’s gone for good. This was his first and only post. 🙄
Agreed, but not unexpected - obviously didn't care about gbodies anyways. Just a part for an interchange.

It reads of someone who is trying to corner a local supply on something. If I got told by 'my builder' (whatever that means) that I need to find something, but hear "I'm not going to say where it comes from, and it's needed because something is different, but I won't tell you what that something is...."

Well, my answer is I guess it doesn't matter so just make do with anything I bring you.

Circle track guys are more squirrely and secretive than Secret Squirrel.

Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Perhaps the oval is for clearance for the tow hook to fit in when those crazy circle track guys flip it over the wall so they can drag it out by the frame.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

85ss/85gn

Master Mechanic
Jan 31, 2007
beaver dam,wi
Race car guys and chassis builder in the Midwest are the same way. They hear something about a frame and what that frame. They are alway want solid frames with no rust.

grandamman

G-Body Guru
Nov 7, 2005
up in the hills
What I've heard is that due to the Grand Am having a rear sway bar and a larger front sway bar, coupled with the quick ratio steering box, the the engine cradle tends to buckle while hard cornering and will send a driver hard right into the wall. That is why no rowdy rounders choose this frame. They don't have the oval hole ever.
This is what I've heard.:popcorn:

beststeak

n00b
Aug 30, 2021
The chassis builder will not tell me exactly why the oval hole is significant other than the HOLE ITSELF has nothing to do with it other than it is an identifying mark that make the frame different. Knowing what I know about dirt track racing, I can only assume it has something to do with roll centers and how the suspension reacts on the track. What I do know is that the chassis builder has a JIG that they set these frames on before they build a roll cage on the chassis and they noticed the oval hole frames do not 100% fit the jig. I was told it was nothing major and barely noticeable but it makes a difference in the end. I really appreciate all you guys looking at your cars to identify these frames, it really helps. so far the list seems to be confined to 1978 and 1979 models with some 1980 models in the mix

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Jun 1991 BGTX Parts & Illustration Catalog shown one PN for 82-88 frames as 14103516. This is my 87 frame. As always all the experts that have heard from someone some off the wall tale about a round hole vs an oval hole and how it affects Center of Gravity, surely GM thought of that and designed it in the frame cause they knew that 30 yrs down the road the frame would be used for dirt track. It would not affect the Aero Coupes frames? My 87 SS is one off build cause it has a distinct VIN that no one else has! :)
Frame  Hole3.jpg

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
The chassis builder will not tell me exactly why the oval hole is significant other than the HOLE ITSELF has nothing to do with it other than it is an identifying mark that make the frame different. Knowing what I know about dirt track racing, I can only assume it has something to do with roll centers and how the suspension reacts on the track

Or, human nature being what it is, builder noticed a difference and is charging a premium for the perceived "good" frames.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
The chassis builder will not tell me exactly why the oval hole is significant other than the HOLE ITSELF has nothing to do with it other than it is an identifying mark that make the frame different. Knowing what I know about dirt track racing, I can only assume it has something to do with roll centers and how the suspension reacts on the track

Or, human nature being what it is, builder noticed a difference and is charging a premium for the perceived "good" frames.
"A fool and his money soon depart"

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor