BUILD THREAD Nothing Special build thread

Flyers9928

G-Body Guru
Jul 30, 2014
South Central Pa
I’m trying to get things painted before the weather changes. I can bolt stuff on when is cold. Finally going to organize the shed this weekend so I have everything in one place, and know what’s where. Can’t wait to clear off my work bench!

Reactions: 2 users

Flyers9928

G-Body Guru
Jul 30, 2014
South Central Pa
This one is tough to write, but I've stalled in the build. Got the shed half cleaned up, and then I reinjured my back. Its not looking good. Re-herniated the L5-S1 disc. Had surgery back in 2020 that helped alot, but now I need a spinal fusion. I'm in constant pain, and my left leg is numb from the knee down. Balance is fun. Hoping to hold out until February or March. Still working as best I can. Looking at a ALIF fusion where the go in through the front. Its the best option in my opinion, as I watched what my ex-wife went through with the approach from the rear. The plus side is that I'll be off work for at least 3 months after and near the end of that I can work on the car as I'm off. Really looking forward to not being in constant pain.

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
This one is tough to write, but I've stalled in the build. Got the shed half cleaned up, and then I reinjured my back. Its not looking good. Re-herniated the L5-S1 disc. Had surgery back in 2020 that helped alot, but now I need a spinal fusion. I'm in constant pain, and my left leg is numb from the knee down. Balance is fun. Hoping to hold out until February or March. Still working as best I can. Looking at a ALIF fusion where the go in through the front. Its the best option in my opinion, as I watched what my ex-wife went through with the approach from the rear. The plus side is that I'll be off work for at least 3 months after and near the end of that I can work on the car as I'm off. Really looking forward to not being in constant pain.
On one hand I will tell you to listen to your doctor. On the other i can say that a surgeon is a hammer and every problem is a nail.
I have had 3 lower back surgeries and one cervical fusion done through the front of my neck. None of them are great solutions imo. I would suggest you find a chiropractor who has some type of decompression machine. I can go into details on my experience going on the rack if needed.
Believe me I understand your pain. I've spent what seems like years curled up in fetal position.

Reactions: 2 users

Flyers9928

G-Body Guru
Jul 30, 2014
South Central Pa
On one hand I will tell you to listen to your doctor. On the other i can say that a surgeon is a hammer and every problem is a nail.
I have had 3 lower back surgeries and one cervical fusion done through the front of my neck. None of them are great solutions imo. I would suggest you find a chiropractor who has some type of decompression machine. I can go into details on my experience going on the rack if needed.
Believe me I understand your pain. I've spent what seems like years curled up in fetal position.
I've been dealing with this since 2014. Back injections have worked for 6-8 months up until now. I had a 4 month period after the first surgery that I was pain free, then the disc above started acting up. I had and injection last week, and for the 1st time ever it didn't do anything. Back issues are no joke, I wouldn't wish this sh*t on anybody.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Flyers9928

G-Body Guru
Jul 30, 2014
South Central Pa
Ok so here I am post opp and with nothing but time and healing to worry about right now. Every day I supposed to walk, and go a little further every day so I’m doing laps around the yard. Keep looking at the car. Stoped yesterday and looked her over. Made a list of parts I still need, assessed the current state of the car, and set a goal of getting her back on the road by Halloween. Not finished, but drivable.

Reactions: 3 users

Flyers9928

G-Body Guru
Jul 30, 2014
South Central Pa
So here is my game plan. Car is currently on jack stands (and has been for about 2 years😞)

So there is no rear end or suspension currently under the car. I have a completely redone rear with fresh posi and 3.73 gears ready to go. I have new springs, shocks, upper and lower control arms, and brake lines. Picked up new backing plates with new hardware and shoes already on and ready to rock. Upgraded to the larger wheel cylinders. New drums and parking brake cables. New hardware to install the control arms. Picked up my shock brace, and am going to get the tie bars that brace the upper/ lower control arm mounts. Found aftermarket boxed upper arms local for $50, either going to get tubular lowers if I can find some cheap, or use the stock ones I boxed myself. Gotta about 3-5 hours of finishing up the frame on the left rear, and the doing final welding of the body mount repairs in the trunk. Plan is to start with that, plus brake hard lines. Have a new prop valve, upgraded master cylinder and stainless lines from master to prop valve. Oh yeah the wonderful time I spent stripping, repairing, and painting the gas funk was for nothing! Leaking in same spot. Time for a new tank! Figure if I can get all that done, I can get her on the road and have a car I could at least drive to work and have some fun with. I’ve been watching alot of roadkill garage and they keep saying don’t get it right, get it in the road! Sounds like a plan!!

Reactions: 5 users

Flyers9928

G-Body Guru
Jul 30, 2014
South Central Pa
So here we are surgery plus 7 weeks and 2days! I feel like a completely different person! I can sleep 6-10 hours a night, I can do stuff around the house. I’m bending kicking *ss in PT. Work says I have to be able to lift 50 ponds to come back to work started with 14 1/2 ponds 2 weeks ago, 1st last week I went up to 19 1/2 and Friday we stepped up to 24 1/2. That 1st week my legs were sore as hell! But I just keep pushing and listening to my body! Anyways decided that I’m going to get back to working on the car! Here is the state after I cleaned the leaves, trash, and stuff from under the car. Damn bush was trying to overtake that corner!
IMG_7463.jpeg

IMG_7466.jpeg

• Winner
Reactions: 8 users

Flyers9928

G-Body Guru
Jul 30, 2014
South Central Pa
Me and the boy plugged away for an hour or 2. Here she is now, sprayed my ground clear and by the weekend I should be back under the car cutting out a frame rail and prepping the new/used ones from Ugly1! Check out the brush pile from that damn bush!
IMG_7467.jpeg
IMG_7468.jpeg
IMG_7469.jpeg

• Winner
Reactions: 7 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor